Writing to .txt file in python

Hi all!

I’m trying to write data to .txt files using a python script. The script runs as expected in IDLE but when i run it in atom(using the ‘script’ package), nothing is written to the file and nor is a new file created. Why does this happen and how can this be fixed ? Are there any other packages beside ‘script’ which can be used to run python code from within atom?

Please share with us the code you are running (a screenshot would be best). You’re saying that the package script runs the code and reports a successful execution, but no file is created?

This is the code I am using. Pretty basic and straight forward. Note how the output window at the bottom shows successful execution even though the file hasn’t been created and/or written to. Tested this in IDLE, work perfectly.

The file you write (abxde.txt) is probably located inside .atom directory because you do not specify it’s absolute path.
i suggest using os module (os.path or os.cwd)

or change current working directory settings in Atom (Settings --> Packages —> Script)

You haven’t demonstrated that the file doesn’t exist, and I believe that @serafeimgr is right about what the script thinks that you mean to do. However, I believe that the file has been created in the folder C:\Users\Achintya Mohan\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.27.1, since that’s the place where Atom starts.

Thanks for the help! Could you give an example using the os module to write the file to a particular location?

Sure, here is an exaple for writing in your current directory.
Keep in mind that i use os for getting the current working directory and i also use path.join in order to keep the code operating system agnostic.

import os

def main():
    """
    :return:
    """
    with open(os.path.join(os.getcwd(), 'myfile.txt'), 'w') as text_file:
        text_file.write('Hello World!')

if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()