Would love some feedback on my sepia-syntax theme. Especially if you like light background themes. :D

I have been working in Atom for a few months now as my main editor, and I’ve been changing out my theme slowly to get something I like and looks good.

Let me know what you think!

Thank You for Your Awesome Work! The theme is great :smiley:
The best part is that it doesn’t hurt your eyes like the stock atom light syntax theme.

I appreciate the feedback @steelbrain

Thats what I was going for was a theme that is easy on the eyes in a daylight environment, but also has enough contrast in the syntax to be readable and immediately recognizable.

If anyone has any suggestions, let me know!

My first reaction was: it’s too pink! (I’m using Sepia Light UI and Sepia Syntax.)

But I spent a few more seconds with it and I discovered:

• The selection is very easy to see. That’s really useful.
  • The current line highlighting is subtle, so subtle that at the beginning I couldn’t find the line. But then I realized that the line number highlighting is less subtle, so by looking there I can find the current line easily.
  • It’s the first time I’m using a theme where it’s obvious whether the tree view has focus or not: the selected item in the tree view becomes blue when the tree view has focus. It’s still not optimal, but way better than anything else I’ve used.
  • All themes suffer from the problem if there is more than one pane (say I’ve split the window into a left pane and a right pane), then it’s not clear which pane has focus. I’ve added a border around the pane to compensate, but it’s not ideal.

Same here. Actually to me it looks like it is pink.

Appreciate the feedback, strange that it looks pink when it’s more based in the orange spectrum. Are you running Flux or anything that changes your monitor temp?

I am pushing a new revision to work better with One Light, so that may help.

I’ll look into the pane focus thing. :smiley:

I have no color adjustment but I wouldn’t be surprised if my crappy monitor was incorrect.

Sorry for the playful remark. I don’t know whether it’s pink. It could well be orange. It just looks too pink. Actually, I wasn’t referring to a specific color. It just looked… girlish. You know, I have two of them at home, and I read their (very pink) books for them, and I can kind of appreciate pink now. Still, in an editor… I don’t need the color scheme to make me think of fairies.

I think the girls will like it, though :wink:

I think you might have pink on the brain :smiley:

Regardless, I have published my tweaks the new One Themes, and I think it works quite well with the new One Dark, it’s a good contrast, imo.

Thanks to everyone who has checked it out.

It’s super pretty! I don’t really use light themes (more of a dark themed kinda guy) but this is really nice and I’m now debating whether to make a permanent switch to it! GG! :ok_hand:

Wow thanks for the props. Have you tried it out with Dark One ui theme? It kind is best of both worlds, I like the dark editor and the light code.

FYI: One Light will probably get some more tweaks as well. Just thought mentioning it so you don’t base Sepia too much on the current version. I think the Syntax theme should stay the “master”. And if UI themes wanna use Syntax colors they should try to adjust to it.

btw. Sepia is used in the One’s screenshots. Hope that’s ok? Good to also have a some “colorful” examples. :+1:

Of course thats ok to use a screenshot. Even better with a link to each of the themes so they get some love :smile: :wink:

No worries on the tweaks, I’m really going to try to make it so that this theme plays REALLY well with One Light/Dark. It’s a really cool idea.

Most of the changes were to give it more of a brown/yellow base as opposed to the orange/pink issue from above.

Tis my setup! haha It’s a nice contrast to have the dark ui with the light syntax! It’s super clear too which helps when coding, having to use multiple languages at once gets confusing with some syntax themes but yours is really clear :slight_smile:

After reading a little more, I realize that Sepia Syntax is supposed to be used with One Light/Dark UI. I have been using it with Sepia UI.

I have to try a little more but it seems to me that Sepia Syntax with One Light UI looks a lot less pink than Sepia Syntax with Sepia UI.

Is it my eyes? Am I seeing pink elephants?

Super happy you like it! Always open to suggestions too.

I haven’t tried it with Sepia UI before, but I toned down the orange/red from it, so maybe you do have pink on the brain!

Very classy!

Few things though (I’m using it with One Dark):

• Properties in CSS don’t have a special color, if I’m seeing correctly?
  • I like how the active tab blends with the text editor, but on the other hand it looks weird when text is coming out of nowhere in that area while scrolling.
  • No indicator of the current line.
  • The current tab has some orange left border. It seems unnecessary, the contrast between active and inactive tab is high enough :smile:
  • The transition between panes could be nicer, not just a thin dark line.

I hope that helps :wink:

Thanks for the feedback. I can answer the parts from One Dark:

I like how the active tab blends with the text editor, but on the other hand it looks weird when text is coming out of nowhere in that area while scrolling.

True. An option would be to add a subtle border/shadow when you’re not at the top or start scrolling. But that would need some styling hook from the editor… maybe adding a class like .is-scrolled or so.

The current tab has some orange left border. It seems unnecessary, the contrast between active and inactive tab is high enough smile

That’s a hint which pane is active in case you have two panes that are split.

The transition between panes could be nicer, not just a thin dark line.

Yes, could be more subtle.