Windows install location

So why is Atom installed in a directory with its version name?

For example my first install is in C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\atom\app-0.165.0\atom.exe and the update in C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\atom\app-0.166.0\atom.exe.

I use Atom as the primary application for certain files and this will make it open the 0.165 version if while 0.166 is installed too. It also not good if you want to save space as every previous version is still there (not that atom uses much space, but still).

Have you updated to the official Windows Installer as outlined in the blog post?

To my understanding, the Squirrel infrastructure does not keep more than two old versions in place. If you’re still using Chocolatey, then that might explain it.

Only used the Official Windows Installer. Never used Chocolatey on this PC.

My main problem is that the default used program always refers to the one used when you choose the default program (the 0.165 folder).

If the Squirrel infrastructure only keeps 2 versions in place, then as soon as the update for 0.166 comes out it will delete the 0.165 folder, right? This means my shortcuts to atom don’t work anymore and I have also to change the default program for editing files, as \app-0.165.0\atom.exe doesn’t exist anymore, right?

Because of these issues it seems as a very weird choice to install it in this way. Back before the official Windows installer (on my old PC) I just overwrote the folder of atom with the contents of the new versions .zip

It also installs an atom.cmd in C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\atom\bin. That folder doesn’t contain a version number, and the atom.cmd always invokes the current version.

It’s not ideal, I know.

ah ok didn’t know that. I try to update my files so it will open that.

[edit]
Not the nicest solution, since it doesn’t have an icon, but works for now.

Another failure of the current installer (at least the one I got with v.1.3): the link in the quick launch area, the registry entry for the context menu, both point to the installed version’s executable to get the icon, eg. C:\Users\plhoste\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.3.0\atom.exe

At least, the quick launch uses the Update.exe file to run the correct current version. And at the same place, there is an app.ico file. So why the installer doesn’t point at this file, instead of using the exe file?

I changed these manually, and it works fine.
For the record, in the registry, the paths are:

• HKEY_USERS\<some UUID>\Software\Classes\*\shell\Atom
  • HKEY_USERS\<some UUID>\Software\Classes\Directory\Background\shell\Atom
  • HKEY_USERS\<some UUID>\Software\Classes\Directory\shell\Atom
    (Icon key).