Windows 10 - "Installation has failed" error

I’m trying to set up a fresh Windows 10 install using the official installer for version 1.0.5. When attempting to install, I get a lovely “Installation has failed” message, as shown below.

Upon reading some other issues, I tried:

• Running the installer as Administrator - No change
  • Checking the SquirrelSetup.log file for errors - It is empty
  • Looking in the ~\AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp directory - contains atom-1.0.5-full.nupkg, background.gif, RELEASES, SquirrelSetup.log, and Update.exe , none of which seem to have any permissions problems and all of which except for the .log file get cleared upon dismissing the “Installation has failed” message
  • Copying the contents of the ~\AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp elsewhere and running Update.exe. - I don’t know the correct switches to apply, and the executable only prints out help text by default.

Can anyone provide me with some suggestions, or should I just open an issue?

Since you already found other issues for this problem (can you link them here?), there’s not a lot of point to opening yet another one.
But it’s worthwhile for you to add your details to whichever applicable issue is the most active.

I have another kind of problem, my OS is Windows 10 and when i try to install does not do anything, only appear the image and disappear and that’s all…

just to give continuity, every time that i need to restart my computer, displays a message atom as if to install

you only need to run administrator. :))

On my install it failed because the path was too long.

Any ideas how to resolve issue with “long path” on windows?

Failure message on my system:

2015-12-08 15:18:08> CheckForUpdateImpl: Failed to load local releases, starting from scratch: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Pete\AppData\Local\atom\packages\RELEASES'.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)

If you watch, the directory atom folder is created during install. The system then fails to make the RELEASES subdirectory. Even if you put it in manually, it gets erased at the beginning of the install. The size of the path seems too small for a “path too long” issue.

Try copying the msi package to desktop and double click from there. Works for me

I was having problems with the installer exe as well. There’s another way to get around this. This link has additional packages to download in the event the windows installer isn’t working. In my case, I downloaded the atom-windows.zip file and extracted it to desktop. Then ran Atom.exe as an admin and it worked just fine. HTH

I have this error as well on a new install of Windows 10, but looks like it may be slightly different as well. I tried running the .exe installer on the Desktop with Admin permissions and this spit out in the Squirrel logger:

2016-03-27 23:35:10> Program: Starting Squirrel Updater: --install .
2016-03-27 23:35:10> Program: Starting install, writing to C:\Users\jonob\AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp
2016-03-27 23:35:10> Program: About to install to: C:\Users\jonob\AppData\Local\atom
2016-03-27 23:35:10> Program: Install path C:\Users\jonob\AppData\Local\atom already exists, burning it to the ground
2016-03-27 23:35:11> CheckForUpdateImpl: Failed to load local releases, starting from scratch: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\jonob\AppData\Local\atom\packages\RELEASES'.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
   at Squirrel.Utility.LoadLocalReleases(String localReleaseFile)
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.CheckForUpdateImpl.<CheckForUpdate>d__3d.MoveNext()
2016-03-27 23:35:11> CheckForUpdateImpl: Reading RELEASES file from C:\Users\jonob\AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp
2016-03-27 23:35:11> CheckForUpdateImpl: First run or local directory is corrupt, starting from scratch
2016-03-27 23:35:11> ApplyReleasesImpl: Writing files to app directory: C:\Users\jonob\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.6.0
2016-03-27 23:35:17> IEnableLogger: Failed to install package to app dir: System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.IO.IOException: Access to the path 'resources' is denied.
   at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.MoveTo(String destDirName)
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<>c__DisplayClassaf.<>c__DisplayClassb4.<>c__DisplayClassb6.<installPackageToAppDir>b__ad(DirectoryInfo subdir)
   at Squirrel.Utility.<>c__DisplayClass18`1.<>c__DisplayClass1a.<ForEachAsync>b__17()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at Squirrel.Utility.<>c__DisplayClass1e`1.<>c__DisplayClass20.<<ForEachAsync>b__1d>d__22.MoveNext()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<>c__DisplayClassaf.<>c__DisplayClassb4.<installPackageToAppDir>b__ac(DirectoryInfo ld)
   at Squirrel.EnumerableExtensions.ForEach[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Action`1 onNext)
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<>c__DisplayClassaf.<<installPackageToAppDir>b__a8>d__b8.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Squirrel.Utility.<LogIfThrows>d__54`1.MoveNext()
---> (Inner Exception #0) System.IO.IOException: Access to the path 'resources' is denied.
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<>c__DisplayClassaf.<>c__DisplayClassb4.<>c__DisplayClassb6.<installPackageToAppDir>b__ad(DirectoryInfo subdir)
   at Squirrel.Utility.<>c__DisplayClass18`1.<>c__DisplayClass1a.<ForEachAsync>b__17()
   at Squirrel.Utility.<>c__DisplayClass1e`1.<>c__DisplayClass20.<<ForEachAsync>b__1d>d__22.MoveNext()<---

2016-03-27 23:35:17> Unhandled exception: System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.IO.IOException: Access to the path 'resources' is denied.
   at Squirrel.Utility.<>c__DisplayClass1e`1.<>c__DisplayClass20.<<ForEachAsync>b__1d>d__22.MoveNext()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<>c__DisplayClassaf.<>c__DisplayClassb4.<installPackageToAppDir>b__ac(DirectoryInfo ld)
   at Squirrel.EnumerableExtensions.ForEach[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Action`1 onNext)
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<>c__DisplayClassaf.<<installPackageToAppDir>b__a8>d__b8.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<ApplyReleases>d__78.MoveNext()
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.<FullInstall>d__f.MoveNext()
   at Squirrel.Update.Program.<Install>d__37.MoveNext()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait()
   at Squirrel.Update.Program.executeCommandLine(String[] args)
   at Squirrel.Update.Program.main(String[] args)
---> (Inner Exception #0) System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.IO.IOException: Access to the path 'resources' is denied.
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<ApplyReleases>d__78.MoveNext()
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.<FullInstall>d__f.MoveNext()
   at Squirrel.Update.Program.<Install>d__37.MoveNext()
---> (Inner Exception #0) System.IO.IOException: Access to the path 'resources' is denied.
   at Squirrel.Utility.<>c__DisplayClass1e`1.<>c__DisplayClass20.<<ForEachAsync>b__1d>d__22.MoveNext()<---
<---

Anyone else have this issue (Inner Exception #0) System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.IO.IOException: Access to the path 'resources' is denied.?

Please see the FAQ:

Ah, thanks @leedohm. That did the trick! McAfee… ugh…

Hi!, Every one!!

The solution is run atom as windows 8 and administrator privileges.

Regards!

The FAQ is a more accurate and comprehensive solution for common Windows installation problems:

Worked for me too. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Thanks leedohm! Darn McAfee… Grrrrrr

So i had some problem on win 10 (with a McAfee too) i moved the install folder to the desktop and ran it from there as admin, and that solved the problem, i hope this help

This helped me. thanks !

worked for me run as admin from desktop