Why isn't Atom in any Official Repository?

Atom has a Snap! You can use that to install it on Gentoo, Arch, openSUSE, Fedora, Debian, etc.

I found this today:

Can’t this be duplicated in an official repo? Seems like the good sir Alan Franzoni already did all the work.

All script/configs is open unlike the post before.

We now have official Linux package repositories for .deb and .rpm based distributions.
Instructions for setting this up can be found in the Flight Manual: http://flight-manual.atom.io/getting-started/sections/installing-atom/#platform-linux.

@Wliu thanks for organising this, it’s great to know this is being taken on in a maintainable way -

I do wonder if there’s a bit of confusion about the question being asked here though - so to clarify a query of my own:

Is there any intention (or has anyone submitted a request to package) atom in any of the mainline debian/ubuntu/fedora repositories?

Allowing install of atom directly using distro standard repos, as distinct from adding a 3rd party repo ala @Wliu 's solution above.

@cleary that’s a great question. My knowledge is a little fuzzy on this, but last I remember one of the barriers to getting Atom included in an official repository is that Atom’s build process requires connecting to the internet, which most of the repositories don’t allow. I’ll see if I can get some clarification from team members who are more familiar with the logistical challenges.