Why isn't Atom in any Official Repository?

Hey guys, just a potential new user of Atom here (I just learn about this last week :P) Why can’t I find Atom in the repositories of any linux distribution?

Thanks,

Will it ever be in Ubuntu repository?

Which linux distribution are you currently working on?
I think the best way you have to install Atom is from the packages available from the website (both .deb and .rpm are built from source).

For Ubuntu, there is a repository you can use, ppa:webupd8team/atom, but that’s unofficial.
Arch Linux has Atom snapshots available in AUR.
On OS X, I use brew cask to install Atom (that’s just a lazy way of downloading the dmg from the website, so perfect for me!).

There is an open issue on GitHub:

Thanks! I may add the unofficial repository later :slight_smile:

And, yup! I am on Ubuntu. It’s been a year since netroby opened that ticket, is there any reason why it can’t be added? Politics or something related to the process? Wouldn’t that be more convenient for all of us n00by Ubuntu users? No offense to the not-n00by Ubuntu users of course <3

Edit: I can install Netbeans via a standard “sudo apt-get install netbeans” just fine

I’d guess priorities more than politics.

Linux accounts for 13% of Atom users. If the Linux and Windows (or Mac) numbers were flipped the situation would probably be different.

That’s obviously because it isn’t included in real repositories. Does that number include unofficial/user supported repositories such as the ones promoted here? It was the Linux people who fought to make it open source, I remember reading that at that time Linux users made up significantly more than 13% maybe as high as in the 40s (somewhere in this thread. It just doesn’t feel like freedom is much of a priority.

I don’t see official statements anywhere. Just one day went Open Source with a big announcement. It’s like when Taco Bell started giving away free tacos after being accused of not using 100% beef :wink: One minute Atom was proprietary, the next minute it was Open Source, ‘supported’ in Linux but nowhere in the repositories.

It’s no secret that the dev team is Mac-centric. Atom is fully functional on Linux most of the time, and the devs and contributors are responsive about trying to figure out those occasions when things don’t go as planned. The hangup is with distribution, and it looks like the only people who have actually pitched in (instead of simply offering opinions) have been the ones to set up unofficial repos.

It is available, for example: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/atom-editor/

I can’t be completely sure, but I think I got mine originally from the debian repos.

Can I point out that that’s one out of every ten people? It might not be a majority, but it’s certainly not a small amount.

Concerning this. Are you (royal you) looking to have something that is hosted by Atom itself (and maybe hooked into their distribution scripts) or someone just running their own PPA? Creating a APT repository isn’t that hard, it’s keeping it up to date that is the tedious part. And something that can be relatively easily automated.

PPAs are a security risk (not disregarding the whole npm security issue). I’d love either a package in the official Ubuntu repo (Ubuntu here. Others may use other distros) or one of these new package formats like a snap.

I was actually thinking that if the Atom folks could host it, just have it hosted as their own repo on http://atom.io/ or a hypothetical apt.atom.io. That is what Chrome does for its repo (other packages too).

Either way, including it in the build/deploy process would make it easier to identify it as canon. Also, it probably would just be a scp and then a ssh command to rebuild the repo.

This is the most likely scenario. It still requires time and expertise … unless someone already knows of a Heroku-deployable drop-in solution that would handle Debian (and derivatives), Red Hat (and derivatives) and Fedora 22?

It really depends from how things get counted. AFAIK Atom installations have a unique key that get used when reporting issues and updating packages, so it seems improbable that the number of Linux installations has gotten so much underestimated.

Unless of course they used some other metrics like number of downloads.

For hosting Atom packages, I can vouch for https://packagecloud.io, which is pretty much for this precise use case. Heroku, Shopify, Librato, etc. all host their packages with Packagecloud, so Atom would presumably be in good company here. (Disclaimer: no affiliation with packagecloud itself, but I do know the CEO, Joe.)

For sake of completeness, Git LFS, which is made by Github, is being hosted at the packagecloud.io. I don’t understand why it isn’t used for distributing RPMs.

Can someone please summarize? I still don’t seem to find out the real reason behind this. I’ve been using atom for years now and every time I need to update atom I search google on whether there’s sudo apt install atom yet, but I’m disappointed every time.

This thread’s a bit old, but I came across it while looking up the info for the WebUpd8 team’s atom ppa, so I thought I’d chime in. If you want to be able to sudo apt install atom (and don’t mind if the repo isn’t canonical), then try the WebUpd8 repo (which @b3by mentioned): https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+archive/ubuntu/atom
I use their tilix and atom repos and am pretty happy with both, though I would definitely prefer official ones. Just be aware of the security risks of using PPAs, particularly unofficial ones. If you’re willing to accept those risks, then you’ve got options.

As for the reason why atom isn’t in the official repos (which was your question that I unhelpfully did not answer), it seems to be a lack of people who both 1) possess the necessary skills to package atom for the necessary repos (debian, arch, red hat, etc.) and 2) are willing to put in the work to package atom, get it in the repos, and continuously update/maintain the packages.

UnitedRPMs maintain a rpm stable in its repository