Why is package install it's own setting tab?

I haven’t touched Atom since not long after it was created.

Just downloaded and installed it, and it took a good 5 minutes to figure out how to install a package, because, for some reason, the ability to install packages, doesn’t happen to be under the most obvious setting tab… “Packages”…

Why is it under “Install”?

Same with Themes…

Installation was under Packages and Themes … but people couldn’t find it there either. So we moved it, hoping that having its own tab would be more eye catching. Obviously, it isn’t for some. So until we have something provably better (not just “I think it would be better over here”), we aren’t moving it again.

It’s find to be it’s own tab, but why not just put a shortcut in the Packages tab to go to the install tab. Best of both world then.

Why not submit a PR with your ideas?

When you say it like that, it sounds like it would just get shot down and I would end up wasting my time.

I asked a question, if you thought that was a good idea why not say something like “that sounds like a good compromise, do you want to send a PR for that?” or something along those lines.

I actually said it that way to outline a point. Your continued use of “why” and “why not” can be perceived as badgering and hostile. Essentially, it can be taken as asking the Atom community to justify its decisions to you, the sole arbiter of good design. Just as you perceived my use of “why not” as dismissive and haughty.

It would definitely be better to take a moment and phrase things better. I’ll work on that in the future. Perhaps we can come up with a way to urge people to use language constructs that are cooperative rather adversarial and build it into a FAQ?

(And yes, I should have included the fact that I was making a point in the post where I was attempting to make it … but I got distracted by family business while the exchange was going on. I apologize for that.)

I re-read what I wrote and don’t see it that way at all. I wrote the first post thinking the decision was silly because the most logical place (in my opinion) would be that to install packages, be under packages.

You then justified ‘why’ it was it’s own tab, which is great, but I was curious as to why there wasn’t a link to the new location for all those who are used to it being under packages.

I didn’t come in here and say “this is fucking stupid what a fucking ux nightmare who ever did this was stupid, i know so much more than you about design”. I came here asking a question because it seemed like a core feature of Atom was not in a logical place.

For what it’s worth, I’m crap at design and ux, and I don’t claim to be an expert at it. All I wanted to know was why something was located in what I thought was a strange place and maybe it should be located somewhere else, and I would have been willing to contribute a PR or have further discussion if there was a chance to make it better.

I understand now that you didn’t mean it that way. It did seem that way to me, on the other hand.

And yes, the idea of having a link from one place to the other could be good if we could figure out an advantageous place to put it. Do you have a suggestion on where would be good?

Sure thing. I’m flying out on holiday tomorrow so I’ll take a look and see if I can create a mock up and PR for it for next week.

That would be awesome, thanks! :grinning: