Why is Atom painfully slow?

There’s an interval from the time I press a key and the time I see it appear on the screen.

This is crazy. What are the basic reasons for it? I use Julia.

Does the lag happen when you start Atom from the command line with atom --safe?

No, just regular start up clicking on the icon of the menu bar, and delay occurs at any time while Atom is running. Absolute hell. Ruins the Julia experience.

Perhaps Atom’s base should impose less to make it faster for a wide range of languages. It seems speed has been a problem for many many users of all kinds.

I’m confused. So safe mode starts up without the lag, but then it becomes laggy later?

Perhaps Atom’s base should impose less to make it faster for a wide range of languages.

When you run Atom in safe mode, all you’re seeing is the base editor. If safe mode isn’t lagging for you, then the lag most likely comes from a package you have installed.

Start up times are fine, safe mode or not. Lag persists, safe mode or not.

If the lag is happening in safe mode, even on small files, then it might just be that Atom is fatter than your computer is happy with. There are some substantial performance improvements being introduced in 1.19.0, so you could try out the beta and see if that helps you. You can download the beta separately and run it on its own; both applications will look at your .atom folder for settings and packages, so you can swap between them without losing any of your setup.

Thanks for the info. When do you think 1.19 will be stable?

Which binary should I download for macOS from the beta link?

Btw, I’m on an MBP i7 8 GB RAM, is that not enough?

I recently replaced my 8 GB RAM machine and had used Atom for over a year on it. I only had trouble when a package was taking up extra resources, when I’d had Atom or Chrome open for too long (weeks) and needed to reboot my computer anyway, and/or when I had too many things happening in Atom or Chrome at once (in terms of windows and tabs open). Usually it was because of two or more of those things. There was always an identifiable problem and I was always able to get to a comfortable performance with nothing more drastic than rebooting my machine or uninstalling a package.

I don’t know.

Which binary should I download for macOS from the beta link?

Probably Atom-Mac.zip.

I only work with 5 tabs tops on Chrome, always turn off my computer every night.

I think 8 GB, i7, and macOS should be more than enough to give plenty room for a fast editor, like Sublime for example. Atom should get some inspiration on Sublime for speed. It should try to make it as fast as Sublime.

In Julia, when code is slow we profile it. Does Atom do that on a regular basis? Which language is Atom written on?

Thanks I’ll try Atom-Mac.zip and let you know how it goes.

I’ve just tested Atom Beta (6/10). The golden icon is nice. It’s just a bit faster than Atom (5/10). I still have to wait for keys to appear on the screen, in every line.

Do you know what are the three most consuming routines done by Atom Beta while a user is typing?

Atom is built in JavaScript on top of Node.JS and the display part of Chrome. It has the Chrome developer tools built in, but I don’t know enough to know how to use them well.

Do you know what are the three most consuming routines done by Atom Beta while a user is typing?

Based on what I know of the program, probably language highlighting, indexing for autocomplete-plus, and checking git-diff.

Why is Atom so slow?

We talked about this yesterday on Slack. If you’re using Julia, you should refer to the Atom FAQ:

If you’re curious about the performance of Atom, there are plenty of steps to investigate on your own in the Atom Flight Manual that I pointed you to yesterday.

Additionally, this is a duplicate of the following topic:

We like to unify similar discussions under one topic so that people don’t have to read a bunch of different threads to get the whole story. Please continue the discussion there. I’ll be closing this topic as duplicate.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.