What UI element is 'in focus'?

I would like to start creating a package Adom. This package will communicate to third-party programs which UI element is in focus and what keyboard shortcuts and command palette shortcuts are available within that focus. In addition how do I read the file that contains all available keyboard shortcuts and command palette.

Any suggestions on where to start within the official documentation?

document.activeElement is the element in focus. Note that if you use Shadow DOM, it encapsulates the element. In that case, you want to recurse the shadow tree:

function getDeepActiveElement() {
    let activeElement = document.activeElement;
    if (!activeElement) return null;
    while (activeElement.shadowRoot && activeElement.shadowRoot.activeElement) {
        activeElement = activeElement.shadowRoot.activeElement;
    }
    return activeElement;
}

Or as a jQuery extension:

$.extend($.expr[':'], {
    'deep-focus': function(el, index, selector) {
        let activeElement = document.activeElement;
        if (!activeElement) return false;
        while (activeElement.shadowRoot && activeElement.shadowRoot.activeElement) {
            activeElement = activeElement.shadowRoot.activeElement;
        }
        return el === activeElement;
    }
});

which allows you to do let focused = $(':deep-focus');

Regarding reading a file, check out https://nodejs.org/api/fs.html#fs_fs_readfile_filename_options_callback – Electron embeds Node so you can just do let fs = require('fs'); and then use it as mentioned in the nodejs docs I linked.

As far as keymaps and commands go, check the KeymapManager and CommandRegistry classes.

And regarding keybindings, they don’t traverse shadow DOM so you don’t need to continue inside the shadow root. And if you want to expose an element in a shadow DOM so that it can receive commands you’ll need to use the content element.