What Is The Best Way To Get The Current Active EditorView?

Getting the current Editor is easy (atom.workspace.getActiveEditor()), but there doesn’t seem to be an obvious way to get an Editor’s EditorView, or get the current EditorView. The best I can find is atom.workspaceView.getActiveView() (https://atom.io/docs/api/v0.81.0/api/classes/WorkspaceView.html#getActiveView-instance) - is this the right place to be looking?

This does appear to work and I’ve used it successfully in go-plus.

Have you ensured that it works when say the TreeView is focused?

Yup, it still works when I have the TreeView focused. It even works if I have a directory selected but a file open. The only scenario where it doesn’t work is when you have a folder selected and no files open, so I will add a check for that (I assume in this scenario, EditorView.getEditor()? / EditorView.getEditor()?.getBuffer()? will be undefined.

Actually, it’s just EditorView that is undefined. Easy fix.

It also won’t work if the active pane item is not an editor. For example, if Markdown Preview or Settings View is active.

In this scenario, would atom.workspaceView.getActiveView() be undefined?

It would be an instance of the SettingsView or MarkdownPreviewView class.

OK. Here’s the code I’m using to guard:

editorView = atom.workspaceView.getActiveView()
return unless editorView?
#
# Other code in the middle here
#
editor = editorView?.getEditor()
return unless editor?
buffer = editor.getBuffer()
unless buffer?
  @emit 'syntaxcheck-complete', editorView, saving
  return

Distilled:

isValidEditorView: (editorView) ->
  return false if editorView?.getEditor()?.getGrammar()?.scopeName isnt 'source.go'
  return true

Maybe this would be a little simpler:

isValidEditorView: (editorView) ->
  editorView?.getEditor()?.getGrammar()?.scopeName is 'source.go'

:thumbsup: https://github.com/joefitzgerald/go-plus/blob/master/lib/dispatch.coffee#L147-L148

Thanks for the help.