What is future of Atom?

What is the future of Atom after GitHub is bought by Microsoft? Atom already have some bad reputation about being slow (specially for large project). So will Atom survive in near future? What should people like me who want to use Atom long time(may be life time) consider about the promise of Atom?

People interpret what they see/hear to what aligns with their own thoughts.
So the following could deepen your worry or give you hope ->

As far as I know, Microsoft announced GitHub to operate independently in the foreseeable future. Since Atom is open-source, Microsoft cannot take it away from the community. With Facebook’s strong commitment to the Atom eco-system, I don’t see any danger. And even if, there are many abandoned products that are still widely used.

Microsoft has also made significant strides in supporting open-source software, both by releasing some of their own things (over 2.1k repos on GitHub) and by incorporating some elements of the Unix ecosystem into their offerings (Windows Subsystem for Linux). That all happened before the acquisition.

Microsoft already makes noise with their cloned version of Atom.
Visual Code Studio, https://code.visualstudio.com/, looks and feels Atom but comes in a Microsoft jacket.
As Atom it’s free.

I guess that Microsoft will do as they do/did with other stuff they acquired.
Leave the original product as is (That’s what they promised) but mimic it, integrate in their own products and just wait till everybody uses the Microsoft clone and forgets the original.

But its true that until they provide something better than the original people won’t take their product. In such case, obviously original product should updated with the pace of time otherwise it will be forgotten. ‘Survival of the fittest’ - isn’t it obvious?

Should I read the quoted text as the following?..

It is a fact that users will not start using Microsoft’s Visual Studio Code until it is better than what Github originally offered with Atom. It does imply that Github should keep on actively developing Atom to avoid being overtaken by Visual Studio Code. Only the best offering can survive.

If I have interpreted (rewritten) your statement correctly, then you should make an effort to understand what Microsoft is offering with Visual Studio Code.

The application itself is one part of it. Support like documentation is also a part of it.

The next part to consider is the level of voluntary community support that each project (vsCode vs Atom) is receiving. (ignore for the moment the count of core developers involved)

Then are two side of the coin: refinement (stability) vs new development (new functionality).