Visual Studio Code and Atom

So today at //Build, Microsoft announced Visual Studio Code, which runs on electron.

I am interested to know if there were discussions or cooperation with the atom editor.

I see there is an opportunity for both groups to help each other.

Anyway, just curious. :slight_smile:

Yeah, how did that happened?

Also does this means that Atom packages run on VSCode?

Btw, the download is now available at https://code.visualstudio.com/

Probably not, Atom packages use Atom’s API. Code uses Electron, but a different API (if they have one).

It would be better if MS Follow Atom’s API and also release VSCode as a package.
I am all for MS going opensource and welcome MS Decision of joining opensource BUT , There is no need for splitting communities.

Would be even nicer if they for ATOM and make pull requests.

Well, Microsoft has open sourced some things, but the VSCode license is not an open source license I am familiar with.

Ah , i just noticed that. When i looked at the website i saw “Download Code For Windows/Linux/Mac” button and i thought it was opensourced!

2015 , Not even opensourced at all. i will pass.

Reading the License , i am feeling that Microsoft now becomes a Parasite over Opensource Community.

@russlescai There is no way to co-operate from Atom Community, unless:

• VSCode is built on top of Atom API
  • Opensource Licensed .

I just tried out Visual Studio Code for a few minutes, and one thing that I really like, that I haven’t found a package for in Atom is the git functionality.
From inside the editor you get a nice diff, and you can stage, revert, and commit your changes. Is there a package for Atom that does those things?

There’s the git-control package, among others. Search for git on https://atom.io/packages to find more packages like it.

For me it looks like they try to invent the wheel, the cheap way. Atom if far way superior to Studio Code, and I guess it will stay that forever and ever :smiley:

Well, I wouldn’t go that far. Sure, they aren’t as good of a citizen as GitHub or some others. But until Microsoft started experimenting with open sourcing things, they wrote or purchased all their own code. Not many giants of the software industry can make that claim … as a matter of fact, I can’t think of any off the top of my head that are still relevant. That’s not being a parasite, that’s competing on their own merits.

Publishing things via open source is giving a gift to the world. It isn’t polite to give someone a gift and then turn around and say they should give it back because you don’t like how they used it.

And also, as anyone who has been in the open source community for very long knows, when you fork something … it gets harder and harder to integrate new stuff into it as the two projects diverge. Sure, they took Atom and built on it … but I’m confident that Atom is going to make great strides in the future. We’ll see if Microsoft learns that the biggest benefits of working with open source are gained by participating, not just taking.

Adding git-diff-popup to git-control gives you all the functionality although it isn’t integrated well and lacks polish.

GitHub is all closed-source, right?

VSCode uses Monaco for the user interface, not Atom. It is the web editor which Microsoft developed for Visual Studio Online. Electron is just the common core between the two applications. You can think of it like different programs using the same .NET framework, or two games built on top of the same engine.

No, it isn’t. Besides Atom and Electron, there’s jekyll, linguist, hubot, markup, gemoji and plenty of other things that they contribute to or have contributed to … besides hosting tons of open source projects and websites for free. And those are just the things that I’ve used or taken advantage of.

When it gets right down to it, every person and every company that uses open source benefits from it more than they give back. That’s the whole point. That’s why open source is awesome. I use and have used more open source software than I will be able to produce in the rest of my lifetime. But that’s because there’s thousands of people contributing to open source and there’s just one me. Even if I had a small- or medium-sized company that open sourced everything it did, this hypothetical company still wouldn’t contribute back as much as it benefitted because there’s decades worth of open source software out there and more being developed all the time.

I was just asking if the main github engine was open-source or not. I didn’t mean to deride their citizenship. I have the utmost respect for them.

My sincere apologies …

I guess it would depend on what you consider the “engine”. For example the markup project is used to do the rendering of at least the READMEs and other documents we post in our repositories. But maybe the front-end stuff not what you’re thinking of? If you mean the glue code between the Git repositories and the website functions such as Issues, Search, the GitHub API, etc … then, those specific pieces aren’t open source that I know of? Although grit the library that GitHub used to interface with Git originally is open source and between that and Rails was most of what GitHub was in the beginning, from what I understand? (The replacement for grit is also open source.)

When you build a system by piecing open source tools together with some glue code, even if all the major components are open source, how much of it is “open source”?

It is kind of silly to be discussing their citizenship when they have done more to spread open-source than every other company combined. Like google they can do good while making money. Although google is starting to look a little scary.

Agreed. I think it is healthy to have skepticism about the motivations of any large group of individuals.

I agree , i will take about what i’ve said .

Well said .

I can’t agree more.

Thing I dislike about google most was Killing of Wave , Google Reader , and Material UI …

The Scariest thing is Shutting down of Google code and Porting all projects to Github! Keyword GITHUB!
I hope Google don’t buy it .