Verilog Linter Unresponsive

Hi, I’ve installed the package linter-verilog along with its dependency linter. However it’s not detecting any warnings/errors when I edit an existing verilog file that I have saved. Whenever I make changes and save the file, the busy-signal package, that’s part of the base linter detects the verilog language, but again no errors/warnings are shown. I’ve tried reinstalling the package but the issue persists. I also have the package language-verilog installed. I don’t believe having iverilog is the issue as well considering I believe I have the latest version installed.

The way linter works is by sending a command-line instruction to the external binary asking for an analysis of the code. The first step in diagnosing a problem like this is by seeing if the command executes correctly when issued from outside of Atom. Please open your system’s command-line interface and try iverilog -t null -I /path/to/file.

When I put that into command prompt I get: “iverilog: no source files” as the output. I assume this is to be expected.

Okay, I’ve tried to install the package on my PC instead and I receive some error in the console.

C:\Users\Immerse\.atom\packages\linter\lib\linter-registry.js:159 [Linter] Error running Verilog Error: spawn iverilog ENOENT
    at exports._errnoException (util.js:1026:11)
    at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:193:32)
    at onErrorNT (internal/child_process.js:359:16)
    at _combinedTickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:74:11)
    at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:98:9)(anonymous function) @ C:\Users\Immerse\.atom\packages\linter\lib\linter-registry.js:159
C:\Users\Immerse\.atom\packages\linter\lib\linter-registry.js:159 [Linter] Error running Verilog Error: spawn iverilog ENOENT
    at exports._errnoException (util.js:1026:11)
    at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:193:32)
    at onErrorNT (internal/child_process.js:359:16)
    at _combinedTickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:74:11)
    at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:98:9)(anonymous function) @ C:\Users\Immerse\.atom\packages\linter\lib\linter-registry.js:159

Nevermind, I got it to work on my PC by adding iverilog into the PATH environment. I’m probably just going to uninstall the package and its dependencies on my laptop and that might fix it, thanks.

Only if you point it at a directory that doesn’t contain any source files.

If your laptop executed iverilog successfully, then it doesn’t need to be added to PATH and you’re good there.

Well reinstalling the packages didn’t seem to do anything. Would I be able to transfer my ~/.atom folder from my PC to the laptop without issue?

As long as you’re fine with overriding all of Atom’s data stored on the laptop, it should be fine to try a transfer.

Very odd, even with overriding the ~/.atom folder it still doesn’t want to work. Tried reinstalling atom, deleting~/.atom folder, still nothing. Starting to run out of ideas.

When you tried the iverilog command before, the output you reported suggested that you didn’t point it at an actual source file. You should try executing it on the same file that you’re working on and seeing what comes out.

Is there any difference between the files or directory structure that you’re trying to work with between your two computers?