Various questions about selling an application made with electon

Hi there! I’m planning on developing a business management software for my father (so he doesn’t have to spend thousands on stuff he probably won’t even use) :slight_smile:

I happened upon Electron and had a few questions.

Is it easy to push upgrades to users of your app?

Is it possible to set up a business model where a client pays to use software that I’ve created with Electron, or does the MIT license not allow this? For example - having a client sign into the app, which then authenticates them as a verified subscriber and allows them to access the app?

I have a little back-end experience, but not much. Is it possible to use AWS as the backend for my app if I’m just hosting databases / similar things on it?

Thank you so much for your time!

If you look at the list of Electron apps, you’ll see a few that require payment.

I have a little back-end experience, but not much. Is it possible to use AWS as the backend for my app if I’m just hosting databases / similar things on it?

You can do anything in Electron that you could in a web app on a remote server, plus some things. You’ll want to browse NPM for the right AWS package, but I’m sure someone’s made exactly what you need.

Ah I saw those paid apps, and I also use one (Slack), I should’ve rephrased and asked if there’s a library that’s standard for these types of things, or if its just as simple as returning a pass/fail from an authentication server and enabling / disabling certain sections of your application.

And cool! Some of my other friends mentioned the same thing about browsing NPM.

Thanks so much for your help!

I don’t know why it wouldn’t be that simple.

Maybe I’m overthinking things. I’ve never developed software this in depth before. I graduated in IT, but with a love for programming and design, so I’m still a fledgling in regards to engineering software the right way. Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Electron makes things really easy. Node has a gigantic package ecosystem and all you have to do is build the logic specific to your application. Just make sure to not handle any sensitive data yourself. Pass it to AWS or PayPal or something else via HTTPS and the only thing you’ll need to worry about is making sure your code is clean and doesn’t have giant memory leaks or eat the user’s CPU.

Looks like I was just overthinking :stuck_out_tongue:! Thanks for all the assistance everyone!