Understanding regexp in atom?

Hello,

I am trying to understand how the regexp in search and replace work for atom.io however there are a few things that catches my eyes as wrong or missleading so there for this topic.

In most editors I have used $ to mark the end of line and append something. This however does not work in atom. Anyone knows what the equivalent is?

Also ^ is what I have used for the beginning of line to append in the beginning. But that also does not do what I expect.

Is there any instructions or documentation of how the regexp is build for atom?

Thank you

Did you activate the Use regexp option in the search view?

Because, as far as I can tell, it works as expected once activated:

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. However thats not really what I mean. Yes regexp is enabled.

However that regexp you are using is saying (beginning of line and .) I am just looking for the definite beginning of line:

^ Matches the starting position within the string. In line-based tools, it matches the starting position of any line.
$ Matches the ending position of the string or the position just before a string-ending newline. In line-based tools, it matches the ending position of any line.

So the search would be:

Find: ^
Replace: test

And that should add the text “test” to the beginning of line which it does not do at the moment.

So it does not really do what is expected.

What you are encountering is a known problem; ^ and $ are not supported by find-and-replace. The multiline regex support in fnr is a bit lacking as of right now.

Oh sorry, I didn’t understand you were talking about ^ and $ as the only search term.

Thank you that actually answers a lot. Hope that it will be solved soon enough

You can use
find: \n
replace: \ntest or test\n
to prepend or append test to each line except the first or last, respectively.