Uncaught exception encountered

Running 1.44.0 x 64 on MacOS 10.15.2

This occurred when the cursor was at the left margin and I was pressing the LeftArrow key to move the cursor to the end of the preceding line.

Uncaught TypeError: Invalid Point: (62, NaN)

• infopw.txt

• untitled

• Git

• GitHub

's avatar

Create Repository

Initialize a new project directory with a Git repository

Create repository

~/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/Documents/Essen/infopw.txt67:19

LF

1 deprecation

Windows 1252Plain Text

GitHubGit (0)

Uncaught TypeError: Invalid Point: (62, NaN)

/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app/static/:11

Hide Stack Trace

TypeError: Invalid Point: (62, NaN)

at Function.Point.assertValid (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app/static/:14:49670)

at DisplayLayer.translateScreenPosition (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app/static/:14:90851)

at DisplayMarkerLayer.translateScreenPosition (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app/static/:14:1184471)

at DisplayMarker.setHeadScreenPosition (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app/static/:14:2912125)

at changePosition (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app/static/:11:522352)

at Cursor.changePosition (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app/static/:11:530896)

at Cursor.setScreenPosition (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app/static/:11:522318)

at Cursor.moveLeft (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app/static/:11:525140)

at moveCursors.t (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app/static/:11:30968)

at Array.forEach ()

at transact (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app/static/:11:33144)

at TextBuffer.transact (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app/static/:11:492268)

at TextEditor.transact (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app/static/:11:24215)

at TextEditor.moveCursors (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app/static/:11:33112)

at TextEditor.moveLeft (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app/static/:11:30951)

at TextEditor.core:move-left (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app/static/:11:297896)

at HTMLElement.n.(anonymous function) (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app/static/:11:306938)

at CommandRegistry.handleCommandEvent (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app/static/:11:349290)

at KeymapManager.dispatchCommandEvent (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app/static/:11:1253613)

at KeymapManager.handleKeyboardEvent (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app/static/:11:1249747)

at WindowEventHandler.handleDocumentKeyEvent (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app/static/:11:284496)

This is likely a bug in Atom. You can help by creating an issue. Please explain what actions triggered this error.

Create issue on atom/atom

• Are you able to replicate this behaviour?
  • Have you seen this happening before?
  • What type of file were you editing?
  • What was the location (local / remote) of the file?
  • What were you doing at the moment this problem occurred
    • indications of which background functions / packages were working may be helpful

Running 1.44.0 x 64 on MacOS 10.15.2

This occurred when the cursor was at the left margin and I was pressing the LeftArrow key to move the cursor to the end of the preceding line.

Had not seen the error before.
Have not seen it since.
File was a .TXT file containing lots of ‘special’ characters.
File location was local.

Thank you for posting a reply.

Having a recipe to reproduce this issue would make it possible to plan a reaction. The situation is frustrating, yet to me this hints to be important:

Reading again through the error report. There is mention of “Windows 1252” which is the character set (on a Mac! :wink: ). The report also states a point error. That means the buffer at that position was given a bad point.

The handling of the not-UTF-8 character set is a possible problem.

Though this revelation is not immediately helpful. :frowning:

Also, more importantly, were you able to reproduce this behavior in Safe Mode?

Okay, here’s some more data.

First, the special characters to which I referred were all characters which one can type from a standard keyboard; none was a ‘control’ character.

But, what I did yesterday is, I opened the file again, selected all, and copied to a new file.

In the new file I cannot duplicate the error.

It turned out that in the old file I could duplicate the error even though on my initial reporting of the issue I didn’t think I could.

So … I infer it was some corruption in the original file.

The text file was created originally in Windows 7 on a PC. (I have migrated all my work to MacOS - still experiencing withdrawl symptoms from my favorite editor on Windows, TextEdit, which, among other things, handles with alacrity the very long text lines I create in some of my files. Not sure what the source language is of Atom, but Atom can’t match the speed of TextEdit.)