Unable to push: remote: invalid username or password

Atom is prompting me to login everytime I try to push something to my remote.
I’m 100% sure I enter my correct credentials since I’ve tested multiple times logging in inside a web browser.

Atom however is saying that my credentials are wrong, I have no idea why.

I’ve had this problem in the past, but I guess it was fixed by re-logging in whenever the login prompt pops up, which is not the case now.

What happens if you try to git push from the command line?

Command line and other interfaces work fine, I get this problem only from atom.

Can you please past the result of apm -v and apm ls | grep "git" (assuming non-Windows), so we can see core & package versions. Be sure to mark it as code using the </> button.

How often did it happen? Was it everytime you closed and opened a new window?

I’m using Windows.

How often did it happen?

I can’t say for sure because I think it was a month ago when I last encountered the problem. Around that time though (1-2 months ago), its frequency varied from something around every 2-3 days to a week.
I’m not sure what’s causing it to forget my credentials or my token (on that note, I can’t remember if it was a token because this time, it doesn’t give me the option to login using a token).

Was it everytime you closed and opened a new window?

I can’t remember for sure. There may have been times when this happened, but from what I remember, it usually took a few days before atom forgets my login.

After trying to push, this windows pops up

After I enter my correct credentials, this pops up

remote: Invalid username or password
fatal: Authentication failed for 'https://......'

I’m not sure what’s causing it to forget my credentials or my token (on that note, I can’t remember if it was a token because this time, it doesn’t give me the option to login using a token).

Do you have 2FA enabled on your GitHub account? If so, you do need to use a personal access token rather than your password - you can just enter the token in the Password field.

Indeed, using the token worked. It still asks me to login everytime I push though.

Glad that helped :+1:

It still asks me to login everytime I push though.

Is that the case on the command line too?

Only for atom.

It’s fine on Github Desktop, PyCharm and command line.