Unable to publish my package

I’m trying to upload my first package, but I’m getting an error, Error communicating with gnome-keyring-daemon.

$ sudo apm publish major
FindPassword: Error communicating with gnome-keyring-daemon
Welcome to Atom!

Before you can publish packages, you'll need an API token.

Visit your account page on Atom.io https://atom.io/account,
copy the token and paste it below when prompted.

Press [Enter] to open your account page on Atom.io. 
Token> ---------------------------------------------
Saving token to Keychain AddPassword: Error communicating with gnome-keyring-daemon

I’m on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, apm’s version is 0.69. Has anyone else encountered this error before? I’m not sure what I can do to fix this.

Looks like no body knows yet.

More info

Do you really need to run apm under sudo to publish a package? Could it be that root uses a different keychain than the one that you have your Atom.io token in?

[1]: https://github.com/atom/apm/issues/139[quote=“leedohm, post:3, topic:10498, full:true”]
Do you really need to run apm under sudo to publish a package?
[/quote]

Currently you do, with apm 0.69.0 on Linux the apm bin and libs are chmod’d o-r and can’t be executed except by root (unless people know how to chmod manually) (it’s possible this issue is unique to my system but I don’t see why it would be). I filed an issue about this on the apm github project:
[0.69.0 installs with wrong permissions on bin/apm #139][1]

While this issue remains unresolved, is there a different way to publish my package?

@Azeirah: You can try this, I don’t know if there are any security implications of doing a non-selective chmod -R on this dir though but I think it should be OK:

sudo chmod -R o+r /usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/apm/node_modules/atom-package-manager

and then try running apm to deploy without the ‘sudo’

I wasn’t talking about the sudo issue, I don’t mind having to use sudo. If that was actually supposed to upload my package, then it didn’t work unfortunately.

The sudo issue is very possibly why apm can’t talk to your user session’s gnome-keyring, which is why it can’t upload. If we can fix apm so it can run as your currently logged in user without sudo it might fix the gnome-keyring issue and let you publish your package via apm. I just realized now though if you’re not installing Atom from source, /usr/local/share might be the wrong path. Can you run this in a shell and paste the result?

ls -l `which apm`

eg:

ls -l `which apm`
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 53 Jun 25 09:54 /usr/local/bin/apm -> ../share/atom/resources/app/apm/node_modules/.bin/apm

(note that they are backticks, not normal single quotes)

# ls -l `which apm`
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 53 jun 29 04:10 /usr/bin/apm -> ../share/atom/resources/app/apm/node_modules/.bin/apm

I did install Atom from source, I followed the build guide on the official atom git repo, and then installed the .deb.

Looks like the instance of apm on your system is installed to /usr and not /usr/local, being as it was installed via .deb, so the chmod command would be:

sudo chmod -R o+r /usr/share/atom/resources/app/apm/node_modules/atom-package-manager

Run that, then try to run apm without sudo to publish

The result is very much the same as before ;(

Sorry to hear that working around my issue didn’t fix yours. I’m not aware of any other means to publish a package. Hopefully the Atom devs or someone more familiar with your specific issue will notice this thread and offer assistance

I could try to upload it on my Windows laptop instead of my ubuntu pc.

Anyway, thanks for the help regardless.

Edit: I managed to upload the package from my laptop :smiley: