Unable to open Atom

Hi

I have recently encountered a problem whereby Atom starts, but I am unable to open the window when I click on it.

I am right-clicking in the folder and doing Open With to start the program. When I do this it doesn’t open the file requested but an old file that I have since deleted. It does this even if I open Atom from the start menu. Picture shown below:

I have tried to re-install the latest version of Atom but it is still referencing the deleted file, and I still can’t open the window.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am on Windows 10 64bit.

Thanks!

Try uninstalling it, and removing all files with the name atom in your AppData folder, and in you ProgramData folder on the root of the drive (you may have to enable view of hidden files to view both folders). After that, restart your machine. That’s all I have, it seems like a strange issue!

Uninstalling Atom usually isn’t the answer in cases like this. It’s not going to do anything because the bad information is in your .atom folder. As covered in the manual, you can open Atom from the command line with atom --clear-window-state to hard-reset your saved session data (which will result in losing any unsaved changes). For more extreme cases, renaming the .atom folder and then starting Atom will create a new .atom folder that remembers nothing.