Too many changes

I wanted to start working with atom and get accustomed to the github workflow.
The github panel on atom says:
“Too many changes. The repository at //…/ has too many changed files to display in Atom. Ensure you have set up an appropriate .gitignore file.”

I starte to learn github a few days ago, so I have some repositories on my computer. The most contains .gitignore files.

Could anyone give me some hints of what to do, to make use of atom? I don’t know how I should prepare my existing files, so that atom works.

Best and thank you.

Please provide a screenshot of Atom with the troublesome folder and the Git tab open.

My guess is that you (unintentionally) have a git repository initialized in a parent directory of your project. We detect and skip repositories in your home directory or the filesystem root, but it’s possible that yours is in a different place.

Search up the parent directories and look for a folder called .git within any of the parents. If you find one and don’t intend for it to be tracked by git, try renaming it to something like .gitbak and try again.

This is it:

Why do you have a git repo in your user folder? Is that on purpose? If not, you should delete it (for Mac and Linux, just rm -r ~/.git). If it is on purpose, you should add any folders you don’t want to track to .gitignore.

Atom refuses to handle situations like that because, when users like yourself had a repo that’s over tens or hundreds of thousands of files that weren’t being ignored, Atom would try to look at them all, take up a huge amount of resources, and crash.