Toggle comment blockwise

All we know that there is a shortcut for commenting a line CTRL+/ on PCs and so on so forth.

Since many languages permit for commenting blocks of code with special delimiters, say %- and -%, (Multiline comments would fall into this category some times), I would like to know whether ATOM.IO is able to do that.

For instance CTRL+/ would toggle to comment all the highlighted lines, whereas what I aim for is to have a shortcut for commenting the blocks such that

x = 30 <this is my comment highlighted by <>>
<this is another comment> y = 2 <x,y are just variables>
assert(x + y == 32) <and this is a 
multiline highlighted comment
which I want to toggle to comment>

and after hitting, for instance CTRL+ALT+/

x = 30 %-this is my comment highlighted by <>-%
%-this is another comment-% y = 2 %-x,y are just variables-%
assert(x + y == 32) %-and this is a 
multiline highlighted comment
which I want to toggle to comment-%

I don’t see any particular difficulty on implementing this since special characters, such as (), {}, or $$ (in LaTeX), already do exactly when typed.

If there is no delimiters like %- and -%, and the language only supports for commenting from, say % to the end of the line, I would be easily detected by the editor and the shortcut CTRL+ALT+/ could instead comment from the cursor or the beginning of the first highlighted block in the line until the end of the line.

This would result into

x = 30 % this is my comment highlighted by <>
% this is another comment y = 2 x,y are just variables
assert(x + y == 32) % and this is a 
% multiline highlighted comment
% which I want to toggle to comment

which is slightly different from the current CTRL+/ everyone is used to.

Atom is able to do this, easily. You just use the API to pull the text of each selection and replace instances of < and >, then insert the finished product.

The < and > is to indicate which part of the text is selected (or highlighted)

Then don’t replace any characters. Just insert the delimiters at the beginning and end of each selection. If you want to build this to be language-independent, keep in mind that language packages have config settings for defining their own comment markers.