The Microsoft intervention

Do not panic indeed… Let’s move to Gitlab?

1 Like

Sublime text ticks all the boxes except open source. It’s also not quite as easy to extend, especially visually.
VS Code ticks all the boxes except truly extensible, since their API cannot communicate a lot of the info you’d need.
Spacemacs ticks all the boxes except easy to use on windows. It’s really difficult to get set up on windows, and then it’s not fast.

Atom truly is the best of all worlds. I hope it lives.

1 Like

Move to Gitlab without panic :slight_smile:

2 Likes

posted this in the Atom Slack chat

The bad parts of MS acquiring GitHub

1. Removes atom to replace it with VScode
2. Changes GitHub to MicroGit
3. Changes the GUI to look more like Bit Bucket
4. Limited public Repositories = more money to pay for the plans that MS changes
5. Removes github community, Atom forums and Atom slack are removed and replaced with Vscode forums and communities
6. electron might get removed because the non electron fans say electron based apps lag for some type of computers
0 Likes

What do you mean by posting this link? If you scroll down you will find installation instructions for Windows.

As of right now, all spurious speculation and fear-mongering is exactly that. We have no knowledge of what Microsoft will do with GitHub or its projects.

0 Likes

Thanks everyone for your concern.

I’ve been given assurances that Atom remains key to GitHub. Our product roadmap is set and the team will continue all of their work.

6 Likes

What is going to happen to Atom and Xray
Is atom dead?
Is Atom Being Acquired By Microsoft
With Facebook Announcing Its Retirement of the Open Source Nuclide, What Will Happen?

I really do hope you are right. But given that there’s Visual Studio Code - also nominally an “open-source project” built on top of electron? I have a hard time seeing MS supporting both in the long run… :frowning:

0 Likes

Thank you lee for that good news, and for the good work you do here on this forum.

1 Like

prediction

Electron   -->    Microsoft
Atom       -->    Facebook
1 Like

I like both, Atom for VSCode, for a variety of reasons. Atom has a much more powerful API than VSCode and IMHO looks much nicer out of the box. VSCode on the other hand has many features in-built, that Atom lacks, or that are, at best, only available through third-party packages. Some other cool features are even unique to VSCode (or to expensive IDEs). Developing packages/extensions for both editors, I could see one major benefit from the Microsoft acquisition: keep both editors, but try to unify the API, similar to how Google Chrome and Firefox extensions are now mostly compatible. Other than that I wouldn’t mind another form of a merger: rebuild VSCode using the Atom API and themes :wink:

0 Likes

That’s great to hear. It would be a pity to lose Atom.

Thanks for letting us know!

0 Likes

What anout Xray?

0 Likes

The future for xray has never been 100% certain but it’s part of the Atom roadmap and developed by the Atom team. See https://github.com/atom/xray/issues/104 for an official response.

0 Likes

Does anyone know if Microsoft will have the rights to Atom and Electron? Or is Atom & Electron still owned by the Atom devs/Electron devs? Cause this is the big question I think needs to be answered.

If Microsoft has the rights to Atom & Electron then we are in trouble since Atom & Electron can be discontinued, become close source, or changed completely and no one can do anything about it since its owned by Microsoft.

If not then it doesn’t matter if Microsoft kicks Atom or Electron from Github since Atom can move over to Gitlab. It maybe rough but the projects will live on.

0 Likes

You can’t have a bunch of people contribute to an open source project and then say “oh no it’s closed now we own all this code.” The code is already out there under the MIT license.

They can “discontinue” in the sense of cutting off the resources GitHub has been contributing to development, but they can’t take away what’s already there.

0 Likes

They can “discontinue” in the sense of cutting off the resources GitHub has been contributing to development, but they can’t take away what’s already there.

So Microsoft controls the project but doesn’t have the license to it? And if Microsoft “discontinue” Atom and Electron could the open source community just move Atom & Electron to Gitlab or something and continue on with it or would that not be legal due to Microsoft?

0 Likes

Of course, you could fork it on Gitlab right now if you wanted to and now you control that new project. Microsoft can’t take that away from you.

0 Likes

I have to say I’m not optimistic. No, MS can’t kill or proprietize an open source project, but I haven’t seen open source code editor’s thrive w/o some kind of company investment in it, similar to what GitHub has been putting into it. LimeText and TextMate are pretty much on life support, as far as I can tell. Electron will certainly live on, though, and maybe VSCode will become more genuinely “open”… we will see…

0 Likes

Of course, you could fork it on Gitlab right now if you wanted to and now you control that new project. Microsoft can’t take that away from you.

As long as Microsoft cannot control or own Atom & Electron then all is good for me. I like Atom as it is the best code editor out here (In my opinion) and Electron is something I plan on using in the future once I learn NodeJS. I like using software and services that is free & open source or owned by a small company that has privacy and security in its heart. Microsoft in my opinion is only good as a OS system and nothing more.

Microsoft is known to create or buy out software and services and then ruin them or discontinue then in the future way too much. I am not a fan of Microsoft as a service.

But I would rather see Microsoft buy Github over Google or Facebook since Google and Facebook is just evil these days.

0 Likes

Hello.

What follows opinionated analysis. There is no relationship between the writer and Microsoft / Github. The writer is a Windows user - job requirements. His preference is with Microsoft branded peripherals.

It is important to keep the personal positive of the company that is being taken over. They need to believe that it is business-as-usual, else the bought company will be ruined before the management is under control. A transition is needed from previous culture of doing things to an integrated way.

Any opinions raised here will be pure speculation. Only people in the inner circle will have any idea and will not comment the full extend in public. Too much is in flux in any case.

The best take-over is the one where the uniqueness of that company is kept in place. This is how new ideas enriches the owning company. Provided that it is a field that is expanded into and not just closing a competitor.

Microsoft is a business, it is not a charity. Microsoft has been doing business for a long time and is thriving. Microsoft is investing money in what it thinks will shape its future.

The future of Github as open source resource is unknown. As profit making business, Github should be growing.

Analysing the pay-offs with the involvement of Microsoft in its own Visual Studio Code project :

--click for detail--
  1. Working with Github-service to manage a project.
    * Automating management systems (their add-on to the system!).
    * Managing personal distributed all over the world.
    * Managing personal distributed over time lines.
    * Evaluate if the service can be utilized for more inhouse projects.

2. Getting comfortable with a frame such as Electron.
    * Evaluate a design not of Microsoft design.
    * Get too work with an alternative for building applications using web technologies.
    * With evaluation comes new ideas to make other own designs.

3. Working with passionate volunteers.
    * Better the public relations to customers.

• Best innovative ideas come from volunteers.
    • New ideas - not bound by a particular company culture.
      • Learn how to harness labour that is for free.
      • Learn how to focus and manage volunteers.
  4. Adaptive tool set.
    * Includes a customer centred API.
    * Better understanding of building tools that is easier to adapt to changing demands.
    * Foremost for own projects.

5. Building tools for different Operating Systems / syntax.
    * Opening/expanding experties into markets outside the Microsoft norm.
    * Volunteers helps teaching of previously less-known OS / syntax.

The advantage to keeping Electron active:

--click for detail--
  1. The future is web driven applications.
  2. Creating a product that a public wants.
  3. Keep parts of it open source a to mine passionate volunteers.

The advantage to keep Atom open source:

--click for detail--
  1. Open the door to make Visual Studio Code a selling product.
  2. Passionate volunteers come up with inspirational ideas to learn from.
  3. Speaks better to a market segment where Microsoft is not strong in.
  4. It creates a good PR.
  5. A breeding ground for creating improvements to Electron.
  6. Encourage usage of Github-services.

It is going to take time before we will know what will happen with the relationship between open source developers and Github & products. The biggest concern is the license agreement that volunteers will need to sign when making contributions.

For the cautionary:

• Make copies of all source codes that is available right at this instance.
  • Track the changes in licensing that occurs.
  • Keep debating the situation and keep the corporates on their best behaviour.

BR

0 Likes