The Microsoft intervention

I’m interested what you think about it. Will you use Atom under M$ control? How many chances have the community to save the project?

And don’t panic please.

Well i started the thread before the rumors.
Good for Microsoft if that is true, i think its not M$ anymore. Google has become more evil than MS

If an acquisition happens and Microsoft decides to change direction on GitHub’s open-source projects, all of the Atom code is public and available for anyone to use and I would expect it to continue on, perhaps under a different name. Open-source projects have weathered corporate impositions and governance disagreements for decades, and I know that the people at MS who would be handling GitHub’s projects have a greater understanding of the history than I do, so it would be foolish for them to try to derail Atom while people still want to develop and use it, even if it’s technically a “competitor” to VS Code (which is built on Electron and has thus benefited from the Atom project and community). There’s also a contingent of Facebook developers who use Atom enough to have written a major workflow package and have been directly contributing to Atom developments that benefit the broader community. With that kind of activity and that vote of confidence in Atom’s direction, would it make any sense for Microsoft to disrupt that? A possible future is that Atom gets dissolved into VS Code and the Electron project keeps going, but VS Code does things differently from how Atom does them in some ways where it wouldn’t be a satisfactory replacement for the people who use it for everything (like I do) or bespoke experiences (like Nuclide). I think Microsoft would be perfectly fine with ownership of both editors, especially with a strategy of allowing them to specialize for their respective strengths. It’s kind of a Windows vs Linux thing again, with Atom being ludicrously hackable and somewhat harder to use like Linux, and VS Code offering Microsoft’s habitual polish. Well, it’s clear in 2018 that personal computing Linux isn’t going anywhere and is only getting stronger.

I would expect no change or mostly positive changes. But if there are negative changes, I’m highly likely to jump ship or keep an old version of Atom installed until a rightful successor comes along.

Microsoft has reportedly acquired Github

Client Installation (Mac | Linux | Windows is not supported) - brave people.

Do not panic indeed… Let’s move to Gitlab?

Sublime text ticks all the boxes except open source. It’s also not quite as easy to extend, especially visually.
VS Code ticks all the boxes except truly extensible, since their API cannot communicate a lot of the info you’d need.
Spacemacs ticks all the boxes except easy to use on windows. It’s really difficult to get set up on windows, and then it’s not fast.

Atom truly is the best of all worlds. I hope it lives.

Move to Gitlab without panic :slight_smile:

posted this in the Atom Slack chat

The bad parts of MS acquiring GitHub

1. Removes atom to replace it with VScode
2. Changes GitHub to MicroGit
3. Changes the GUI to look more like Bit Bucket
4. Limited public Repositories = more money to pay for the plans that MS changes
5. Removes github community, Atom forums and Atom slack are removed and replaced with Vscode forums and communities
6. electron might get removed because the non electron fans say electron based apps lag for some type of computers

What do you mean by posting this link? If you scroll down you will find installation instructions for Windows.

As of right now, all spurious speculation and fear-mongering is exactly that. We have no knowledge of what Microsoft will do with GitHub or its projects.

Thanks everyone for your concern.

I’ve been given assurances that Atom remains key to GitHub. Our product roadmap is set and the team will continue all of their work.

What is going to happen to Atom and Xray
Is atom dead?
Is Atom Being Acquired By Microsoft

I really do hope you are right. But given that there’s Visual Studio Code - also nominally an “open-source project” built on top of electron? I have a hard time seeing MS supporting both in the long run… :frowning:

Thank you lee for that good news, and for the good work you do here on this forum.

prediction

Electron   -->    Microsoft
Atom       -->    Facebook

I like both, Atom for VSCode, for a variety of reasons. Atom has a much more powerful API than VSCode and IMHO looks much nicer out of the box. VSCode on the other hand has many features in-built, that Atom lacks, or that are, at best, only available through third-party packages. Some other cool features are even unique to VSCode (or to expensive IDEs). Developing packages/extensions for both editors, I could see one major benefit from the Microsoft acquisition: keep both editors, but try to unify the API, similar to how Google Chrome and Firefox extensions are now mostly compatible. Other than that I wouldn’t mind another form of a merger: rebuild VSCode using the Atom API and themes :wink:

That’s great to hear. It would be a pity to lose Atom.

Thanks for letting us know!

What anout Xray?

The future for xray has never been 100% certain but it’s part of the Atom roadmap and developed by the Atom team. See https://github.com/atom/xray/issues/104 for an official response.

Does anyone know if Microsoft will have the rights to Atom and Electron? Or is Atom & Electron still owned by the Atom devs/Electron devs? Cause this is the big question I think needs to be answered.

If Microsoft has the rights to Atom & Electron then we are in trouble since Atom & Electron can be discontinued, become close source, or changed completely and no one can do anything about it since its owned by Microsoft.

If not then it doesn’t matter if Microsoft kicks Atom or Electron from Github since Atom can move over to Gitlab. It maybe rough but the projects will live on.

You can’t have a bunch of people contribute to an open source project and then say “oh no it’s closed now we own all this code.” The code is already out there under the MIT license.

They can “discontinue” in the sense of cutting off the resources GitHub has been contributing to development, but they can’t take away what’s already there.