The mac application won't open from /Applications or finder

MacOS 10.11.4
Atom 1.7.2

When I click on the Atom icon from the Finder or select open with… , Atom will launch but no windows will open. There is a menu, but it has a single entry for Atom.

When I launch atom from the command line it works fine so I can’t run it in debug mode to try to figure out what’s going on. I deleted all of the atom settings I could find to try to reset it but no luck. I also tried the beta with no change.

Are there any suggestions what could be going on here?

Try launching Atom from the command line with atom --clear-window-state and see if that helps.

I tried --clear-window-state and it didn’t change anything. If I launch from the terminal and leave atom running in the dock, it will work as expected. It seems like it’s something in the mac packaging not the executable.

What shell do you use when you launch the terminal?

Same issue occurred in my environement.

• Click Atom.app, Atom is launch, but window is not appeared.
  • Command atom. it works fine.
  • After the window opened by command line, Command + Shift + N (New Window Open) doesn’t work.

Environement

OSX El Capitan 10.11.5 (15F34)
Atom 1.8.0
Shell:

$ echo $SHELL
/bin/bash
$ bash --version
GNU bash, version 3.2.57(1)-release (x86_64-apple-darwin15)
Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

@tomorrowkey Where do you have Atom.app installed?

Atom.app is installed in /Applications/Atom.app.
I found Atom.app symlink in ~/Applications. But the link target is already deleted. (Maybe this symlink is created by brew cask)
I delete it, but problem still occurred.

atom command is a symlink. It is linked to /Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app/atom.sh.

It’s curious that the command from the terminal works, but launching from the icon doesn’t. Where does the icon point to?

The icon which I clicked is located at /Applications/Atom.app. I clicked it directly. This is not in the Dock.
Sometimes I launch Atom with Alfred. It is also point to /Applications/Atom.app.

I’ve updated Atom to v1.10.0. The problem still occurred…