Texas Instruments Programs and Atom

I’m not sure if I’m capable of writing a package of this magnitude or if its possible to do within Atom, but does anyone (who is very familiar with Atom and Texas Instruments) know if it would be possible to build a language package or whatever would be needed to properly display Texas Instruments programs (specifically .8xp files) within Atom? It seems to be untouched terrain.

Assuming 8xp files are text files and not binary, it should be doable.

I can see some text mixed in with some garbage text (or hidden characters possibly), so I assume it is just text.

If you share a file, we may be able to provide some insight.

Hopefully this works.

That’s a binary file and would require a special program to display the contents, if it’s even possible to do so. How do you interact with these files?

The TI Connect CE Software here, but I’ve read about other 3rd party open source editors on Windows that can open the files.

If you can find one of those, we might be able to tell you how feasible it would be to make Atom process those files.

I think it is already outside of my abilities, since I’m not great with JS and have very limited experience with Atom Package dev. Some are saying you just need to read in the file and convert from hex to ASCII, but I think there may be more to it than that.

I also looked around for those open-source 3rd party source editors I mentioned… I was mistaken. There’s an online “IDE” thing of sorts with the name SourceCoder, I just misread it thinking it was the source code for a converter. I think it is out of the scope of what I can and would be troublesome for anyone else to attempt to do. It was worth a shot I suppose.

If the sourceCoder program provided a downloadable set of command line tools that convert between program <–> text, it would be relatively straightforward to write an Atom package that does the conversion automatically on command.

I see that there is a downloads page on it’s website, but I don’t know enough about C and the texas instruments calculators to know if any of the downloads it provides can do this.

Unfortunately I don’t think it does. Looks like it might just be easier to use TI editor, although, I don’t really like using it that much. I’m always looking for a ways to modify Atom so that I can use it in more situations over other tools.

Even though Atom is open to being modified in such a way, some of the things you might want to target have not been open-sourced in a way that would allow for a third party to replicate the feature in the proprietary software.