Testing on a local server

I am a newbie to Atom. I’m coming from Webstorm. How do I execute my project code on a local server from Atom?

Atom does not have any server capabilities. However, there are multiple packages that do.

Thanks for that information. I was beginning to think I was a sloppy reader. I’ll look into your suggestions.

I personally prefer Browsersync, but you say that running the server from within Atom is important to you (although there’s a terminal package that can do that, too).

I’ll look into Browsersync too. It isn’t so much that I need to access it from within Atom. I’m just used to that with Webstorm, but there are some downsides to Webstorm or I wouldn’t have looked at Atom. I really (merely) want to be able to easily use some tool with Atom.

Part of why I love Atom is that nothing I do with it is bound to the editor. It has a loose ad-hoc concept of projects, so there’s no messing with .vcproj or similar files. If I need to run or compile code, I’ll use a package that taps into an outside utility, so the functionality is identical between Atom and the command line. The packages that create a server are probably all tapping into some other Node package and you could learn the peculiarities of that package, but since I have a terminal open when developing anyway and since I value not being tied to one program, Browsersync works well for me. I found it through Aurelia, which has a CLI tool that packs up your code, processes Less/Sass/Stylus, and generates a BS server for you. So I use the Aurelia CLI for Aurelia projects and BS for generic web projects and the server is the same for each. That’s really nice.

I’m still a newbie (about a year). I’m still going through a Treehouse.com Techdegree program for Full Stack Javascript. And, I am picking up side jobs as I go. So, while I am sure I will get to the place of liking independence, I’m still at the “help me as much as you can stage”, but a little better than when I started a year ago.

I have no formal education in coding and engage in development in fits and starts based on whether or not I’m inspired to do a thing or find a new toy that looks like fun. I don’t pick tools that don’t immediately make some sense to me (since I’m doing this as a hobby). I have a very tactile learning style, where I need to have a tangible result that I can play around with. What Atom, Aurelia, and Browsersync have in common is the fact that I was immediately able to use them with minimal preparation.

I’m finding that to be true with Atom for sure.