Teletype: first impressions

I installed the teletype package today and tried it out with my team at work.

The first time they tried to use it, someone confused my portal token for an auth token and got an error. That’s somewhat a PEBKAC error, since the text above the “login” popup is very clear.
oops

I’m very pleased that multiple cursors and vim mode plus work transparently. I was able to make some bulk edits with no problems. It appears that folds are not shared, but scrolling is, which mostly makes up for it.

The teletype website shows everyone’s cursor as a different color. I’ve been styling my cursors for a while now, so they didn’t change color. When I commented out my stylesheet, I still only saw the pink cursor from the panda theme. My boss had the same problem with the dracula theme. Switching to one dark fixed the problem. I’d love to see theme hooks for these cursor colors so that you don’t end up with everyone’s cursor the same color. I’d also love to see a ring around the avatars that’s the same color as the cursor, so you know whose is whose. It would also be cool if the ring lit up when the other person was typing, similar to how voice chat programs do talking.

When you click on an avatar bubble, it pops out a little link icon, and I can’t figure out what it’s for. My clipboard doesn’t have a link in it afterwards, and the cursor for it is the text selection cursor.
link icon

I’d also like hovering the avatar to pop up a tooltip with the github username of that user. The only reason I know who the second person is in the above picture is because of the notification when he joined.

All the issues I saw are really minor though, this package is awesome. Probably the biggest use I can see for it is when I’m helping a coworker debug an issue, they can just share their file with me. Then I can do all the super awesome multi-cursor/vim edits quickly, rather than trying to type on a bad (laptop) keyboard with none of my familiar shortcuts.

@calebmeyer Thanks for trying out Teletype and taking the time to share this feedback! :bow:

The teletype website shows everyone’s cursor as a different color. I’ve been styling my cursors for a while now, so they didn’t change color. When I commented out my stylesheet, I still only saw the pink cursor from the panda theme. My boss had the same problem with the dracula theme. Switching to one dark fixed the problem. I’d love to see theme hooks for these cursor colors so that you don’t end up with everyone’s cursor the same color.

I have some good news! Those theme hooks already exist. :grinning:

Check out the “Site Colors” items in the stylesheet:

I’d also love to see a ring around the avatars that’s the same color as the cursor, so you know whose is whose. It would also be cool if the ring lit up when the other person was typing, similar to how voice chat programs do talking.

Cool! @nathansobo and I were just talking about these exact ideas today. As we prioritize future work, we’ll be looking at feature requests like this to determine where we can deliver the most benefit with the available engineering resources (i.e., full-time Atom engineers, community maintainers, and new contributors).

When you click on an avatar bubble, it pops out a little link icon, and I can’t figure out what it’s for.

Clicking on the avatar allows you to “follow” that participant. https://github.com/atom/teletype/issues/100

I’d also like hovering the avatar to pop up a tooltip with the github username of that user. The only reason I know who the second person is in the above picture is because of the notification when he joined.

Interesting. Can you tell us more about your underlying use case? Are you regularly writing code with people whose avatar you don’t recognize?

All the issues I saw are really minor though, this package is awesome. … I can do all the super awesome multi-cursor/vim edits quickly, rather than trying to type on a bad (laptop) keyboard with none of my familiar shortcuts.

I’m so glad you’re enjoying it! Thanks for taking the time to share this feedback. :heart_decoration:

I’ll definitely check out those theme hooks, maybe I can override the cursor overrides in my personal stylesheet.

So is the little link icon just to indicate who you are following?

Nope, this is the first time I’ve been able to! And for 90% of my team who have custom avatars, they’re easy to tell apart. It’s just the one guy who hasn’t customized his public github avatar that I wouldn’t have known. It would be the same problem if I wanted to work with two engineers from Bangalore who didn’t have avatars, it would be hard to tell them apart.

No, thank you all for writing this awesome text editor and all these awesome packages. This is the first time I’ve ever felt confident enough to contribute anything, because atom has an awesome community. Keep up the good work!

Another option is to open a pull request to add support for those styles in your favorite themes. :pray::smile:

That’s right.