Task Manager like Chromium

Apologies if this exists and I just couldn’t find it, but is there a way to port over the task manager from Chromium? It would be very useful when you see a bunch of Atom Helper processes and one of them is consuming a lot of CPU, to be able to tell which package is responsible for that.

@zcbenz @kevinsawicki Is this something that can be easily enabled?

One other thing though @swrobel, I noticed this comment by @zcbenz the other day regarding AtomHelpers showing as Not Responding:

This is a chromium issue that tracked at https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=397642, though the activity monitor says it is not responding it is actually working well, we can just wait for the upstream fix.

Link - https://github.com/atom/atom/issues/3928#issuecomment-60181672

Not sure if that is helpful, but I figured I’d mention it.

Thanks. It seems like the Chromium issue has been fixed and targeted for M40. I don’t want to nag the atom guys, but considering how many threads I see on here complaining about CPU/memory usage, this seems like a very useful Chromium feature to include.

In my experience the “atom guys” have been aggressive in upgrading the chrome version. So this should happen soon.

Perhaps I wasn’t clear enough - that fix is rather superficial. It just prevents Atom Helper tasks from showing as “Not Responding” in Activity Monitor even when they are, in fact, responding. This doesn’t help at all in identifying which Atom Helper corresponds to which Atom package. We would still need the Atom team to add the Chromium task manager (or something similar) so that we can see CPU/Memory usage by package.

It is good to have this feature. My atom hangs whenever I open my scss mapping file.

Ofcourse, most editor hang when such huge files are opened, but it’ll be a good to have feature to kill whichever process/tab is causing the problem.

Did this feature ever get developed?

I would so love this too. As I am having a lot of issues with Atom helper processors taking up 100% cpu and I cant work out what the cause is.

Thanks in advance.