Syntax Theme for python

Hello,

Anybody knows of a good custom theme for highlighting python ? The packages I’ve tested so far have a very bad set of syntax variables by default.

Thanks

Sure, the flight manual has a guide on writing such grammars. If it’s just an addition of keywords, you can write one to inject them into a python grammar.

If you explained which packages you tried, and what “bad set of syntax variables” means, I’d be able to assist further.

“Bad set of syntax variables” is the fact that 1 variable covers too many things, in sublime Text I’ve found themes where I could break down do characters like ’ or "

for example, in the default theme One-Dark we have variables such as:
@syntax-color-variable:
@syntax-color-constant:
@syntax-color-property:
@syntax-color-value:

but there is no
@syntax-color-string (it regrouped under syntax-color-snipped as well as other things)
then you could go further
@syntax-color-string
@syntax-color-docstring
etc etc

But I guess this would be created in a python.less ?

Oh, my bad. I (somehow) saw grammar, not theme.

You can add anything you like to your styles.less file. Use Editor: Log cursor scope in the command palette to see the scopes to target. Prepend all scopes with syntax--. Here’s an example to start with, though you might want to get familiar with LESS / CSS

atom-text-editor[data-grammar="source python"] {
  .syntax--string {
    color: #00ccff;

&.syntax--quoted {
      color: red;
    }
  }

.syntax--group {
    color: #aed984
  }

.syntax--block {
    color: #ff8485;
  }
}

As for the existing variables, I guess that’s all the developers needed. You can define as many as you like though.

I will give that a try.

Thank you

This doesn’t seem to be working.

I’ve added the following:

.syntax--meta.function.decorator.python {
        color: rgb(255,0,0);
    }
}

meta.function.decorator.python being the scope at the cursor.

But this doesn’t change anything.

syntax-- needs to be prepended to all the things. Also, there is precedence involved. The entity.name.function.decorator scope has a greater priority than the one above it

Try

.syntax--entity.syntax--name.syntax--function.syntax--decorator {
        color: rgb(255,0,0);
    }
}

It there a way to extend that to a specific word or character?

.syntax--support.syntax--type

this would highlight super and decorator. Can I specify that I only want decorator ?

I don’t think you can select based on content. Basically, the grammar (language-python) has a bunch of rules about how to interpret text. These rules are used to apply the classes (.syntax--support, etc). These classes are pure HTML / CSS, so you can do anything to them that you can with normal CSS (which is what themes are; just CSS).

If the grammar does not distinguish between different words, and gives them the same scope, I don’t think it’s possible to do it.

There is a new grammar engine being rolled out (Tree-sitter), where you can apply scopes by content match, but I don’t think the customisation is directly available to the user yet (only the grammar package can apply the scopes for now).