Switching syntax?

thank you for this.

Best atom package ever! Atom should have it as default for people migrating from sublime

Not everybody who picks up Atom is migrating from Sublime.

Your point? I’m not migrating from Sublime.

The point is that set-syntax doesn’t need to be default because it’s not something that’s useful for everyone.

Nowhere did I mention that everybody were coming from Sublime Text… But that being said I think the most direct competitor to Atom is Sublime Text as it is most often the go-to editor for coders… http://stackoverflow.com/research/developer-survey-2015#tech-editor …So it is a good move to make the transition sublime > atom enjoyable…

Any package that isn’t universal or nearly universal shouldn’t be included in the core packages.

Thanks @kevinsawicki so much

ctrl-shift-L Works on Mac (use ctrl, not cmd). :trophy:

I can confirm that I first had to google this to find this.

It would be much better to include the word ‘syntax’ instead of ‘grammar’ in the command pallette.

https://atom.io/packages/alias-command would allow that

I have just registered, only to thank you ^^

and ^this^ is why I came here

Created an account just to chip in that I also think grammar should be referred to a syntax.

This isn’t just people coming from sublime, it’s 20 plus years of coding in multiple languages, multiple editors and IDE’s and I can’t ever think of it being called grammar before.

I’ll get used to it, I’m loving Atom but doesn’t make it any less of a pain.

And large parts of Atom’s initial functionality were inspired by TextMates, which used the term “grammar”, I would imagine because its highlighting system uses a regular expression grammar (which, by the way, is a term used also in natural language processing) to identify parts of text.

The syntax of a language is the set of rules determining how words in that language should be put together. A grammar for a regular expression engine is used as the basis for a tokenizer to mark special words within the text.

I agree!

In any case, the decision to remove friction with Sublime (and similar) users is a business decision. Atom is yours, so it is your business. Also, I suppose it’s faster to just grab terminologies from TextMate when you were rapidly building Atom from ground up.

Adding aliases to various commands can be good. But it takes time to craft a friction-less template for Sublime users (ala “Sublime users click here for familiar command names”). Still, allowing for disparate aliases (not ala git config alias.lg "log --decorate --graph etc) will dilute the vocabulary in Atom, causing much confusion for Atom experts down the road. (Disclaimer: I’m an Atom noob.)

Atom is popular now. It’s a good opportunity to re-educate users for Atom’s terminologies. Not much point in diluting the vocabulary in Atom now.

(Oh sheesh, this forum controls the Emacs keybind M-b too? World is telling me to stop using Emacs. :frowning: )

Dude, who do you think I am? I’m just a user. And yeah, learning Atom required me to learn a few new terms, but once I did, I didn’t find any of it to be problematic.