Support run package wrote in typescript

Typescript is good for maintaining big code base project, so it’s good to use it in a package with complex logic.
Is it possible to support run packages wrote in typescript?
I mean, people only commit the typescript code to package without compiled js files, just like using coffeescript.

You can write a build script to transpile your TS into JS on install time. Atom packages install pretty much just like Node packages, so scripts mentioned in package.json will be run as normal.

I generated a package using the package generator, added this config, and test.ts in ./lib, but when I reload atom, it didn’t generate the js file. Is any thing wrong? @DamnedScholar

{
  "name": "test-ts",
  "main": "./dist/test",
  "scripts": {
      "build": "tsc -p ./lib"
  },
  "version": "0.0.0",
  "description": "A short description of your package",
  "keywords": [],
  "repository": "https://github.com/atom/test-ts",
  "license": "MIT",
  "engines": {
    "atom": ">=1.0.0 <2.0.0"
  },
  "dependencies": {
    "typescript": "^2.6.2"
  }
}

You need to go into the package folder in your command line and run npm install in order to run the build scripts. When a user downloads a package for the first time, that will be automatic, but when you’re developing a package, you need to install dependencies yourself.

I have ran the npm install, but the build is not triggered automatically. Do you mean I need manually run npm run build after npm install?
So if I refactor the existing packages to ts, will it run the build scripts when user upgrade the packages?

According to the NPM documentation, no build keyword is supported under scripts. You want install.

OK, got the point. Just add a install to scripts in package.json, and the value of it is the compile command.

{
  "name": "test-ts",
  "main": "./dist/test",
  "scripts": {
    "install": "tsc"
  },
  "version": "0.3.0",
  "description": "A short description of your package",
  "keywords": [],
  "repository": "https://github.com/yubaoquan/test-ts",
  "license": "MIT",
  "engines": {
    "atom": ">=1.0.0 <2.0.0"
  },
  "dependencies": {
    "typescript": "^2.6.2"
  }
}

But is there any short comings of this approach? I found the package atom-typescript doesn’t use the compile-after-install way, instead, they put the compiled files into git repo as well.

You can do that automatically with prepublish, prepare, or prepublishOnly, if you want to. It doesn’t make a difference to the person who installs your package.