I’ve thought I’d share some of our learnings using Electron. As our product is free I am not creating shameless ads
Our Gravit Designer Tool (https://designer.io) is a complete design product like Sketch or Affinity Designer built on Html/JS. It recently was accepted on Mac AppStore https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gravit-designer/id1207744923 and works very well with Electron.
Some things we’ve discovered since then:
- Accessing fonts is quite hard (load and parse fonts available)
- Creating installers including all Shortcuts and File Extensions for Windows is a pain in the ass
- Updating the menu is currently not doable, i.e. we’re missing a simple open menu event to update our menus
- Shortcuts are easier to handle using a custom library not electron (i.e. Mousetrap)
- Integration was quite easy especially with native load & save
- Saving / Loading binary data with NodeJS and communicating with the web-app is a bit tricky
If interested we might publish an extended article on our learnings.
Anyway we’re happy as Electron is serving our app on Mac App Store, Windows and Linux now quite nicely thanks!!