Startup Speed

Before i start:

• I am a big fan of Atom and personally i use it extensively.
  • I have read all the pre posts on that matter :slight_smile:

As an IT admin for a department at a technical university, i found my self looking for a multi-platform text editor / IDE for our default Windows and Linux Installations for our employees (Right now we use Notepad++ on Windows and the default KDE text editor on Linux).
My choices at first was Atom… feature rich, extendable with plugins, the same environment for all employees, no matter which platform they choose to work on.

BUT, after testing and talking with the people, most of them stopped using Atom after a short while, simply because the startup speed is to slow compared with other tools (with and without enabled plugins ; faster on Linux, slower on Windows).
Mostly the people that are used to right click a text file and open with… where unnerved by the delay and moved back to notepad++ or other alternatives.
People that where using Atom as IDE for a Project where more willing to wait a little more, but still, most of them told me they preferred VS Code because its just faster…

So, at the end, Atom was not used in any default image for the desktops and project machines. :frowning:

For me its just sad that such a brilliant tool is not used because the startup time can not compete with other text editors (like Notepad++, VS Code,…) !
So i really think it would help Atom spreading, if this issue was given much more attention by the developers!

In some other thread someone proposed modular loading, which i find a quit good solution, since most of the people that use right click menus to open a single text file t, do not use git or other advanced features at all… so it does bother, if they are not loaded first…

The machines that where uses to test Atom installations on Windows and Linux had all specs like: 8-Core Ryzen7 or equal Intel, 32GB DDR4 RAM, NVM mPCIe system-discs…
So they where all quite fast machines… especially its interesting that even a fast M.2. with a read speed of ~3500MB/​s and a fast DDR4 RAM is not able to load Atom faster…

And one more thing for the eye…
If there is a loading time when starting Atom, at least there should be some nice splash screen and not a white window, or a smaller white window with an underlying black window… every time i see this, the first thing that comes to mind is, the program has crashed, is frozen or something like it…

And one more important thing for me to say: this is no assault on the devs, Atom is great, what you all accomplished so far is great!
I wrote this to keep the discussion going on that matter…

We are a department with about 150-200 workstations for researchers, also workstations for education and students.
So it would have been really nice, to bring the researchers and also the future coders closer to a tool like Atom and not some proprietary tools for ms or others…

Thanks to the devs for all the hard work!

1 Like