SquirrelTemp Update.exe causing hangups or black box pop-up that obscures everything

I don’t know what’s going on but during certain program installs on Windows 7, I get this obnoxious black box that pops up over everything else (and can’t be hidden except by going to desktop) called “Installing… (Not responding)”, which when I look it up in Task Manager, it traces to C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp\Update.exe

What is this? So far it’s popped up during installs of Atom, SourceTree, Slack, and the Brave browser…

The only thing I can do with it is click it and force close using Windows… I can’t tell if this is a virus, but I’m also not seeing how to uninstall it or why it’s there to begin with. I’ve already tried uninstalling all of these programs.

Squirrel is the installer that those programs use to set up automatic updates. If it’s having a fatal error on your system and isn’t giving you an actual error message, I’m not sure how to troubleshoot it.

You may have to use the programs you want without Squirrel. To do that, just go to the GitHub releases page for whatever program you’re interested in and find what will usually be a .zip file (it is for Atom, certainly) to download the program by itself without the installer.