SOS desperate AF please help

Hey guys;
I’ve recently been tossed into a role where someone else had been working with atom and python to do our reporting, they basically only taught me how to change the google spreadsheets, the dates I’m looking for, and how to run it and that’s it. I’m trying to set atom up on a laptop so I can work remote next week. I have everything in place but I keep getting the same error message.

"Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/Loaner/Desktop/Python/FiveStarLCCActivitiesOfficialV3.py", line 16, in <module>
    refSh = Spread(credentials, 'CodeReference','FiveStarLCC')
  File "/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gspread_pandas/spread.py", line 131, in __init__
    self.client = Client(user, config, scope, creds)
  File "/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gspread_pandas/client.py", line 91, in __init__
    credentials = get_creds(user, config, self.scope)
  File "/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gspread_pandas/conf.py", line 175, in get_creds
    reraise(ConfigException, *exc_info[1:])
  File "/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/future/utils/__init__.py", line 415, in raise_
    raise exc.with_traceback(tb)
  File "/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gspread_pandas/conf.py", line 154, in get_creds
    config, scope, redirect_uri="urn:ietf:wg:oauth:2.0:oob"
  File "/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/google_auth_oauthlib/flow.py", line 159, in from_client_config
    'Client secrets must be for a web or installed app.')
gspread_pandas.exceptions.ConfigException: Client secrets must be for a web or installed app.
[Finished in 3.917s]"

The person who originally set it up on my computer will not help- is only sending me links to forums, but I literally do not understand every other word. from googling I can tell this may be a problem with my json file but its EXACTLY the same as it is on my desktop and shit is working there just fine.

if there’s anyone out there that can help me, and put it in the dumbest terms possible, idiot-proof if you will, I would be forever grateful.

Nothing like messing with atom all day to make me feel like a total idiot.

Reading through your report …

gspread-pandas is a python package to access google spreadsheets

… Installed here apparently …

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gspread_pandas/client.py

The last line yields a further clue …

gspread_pandas.exceptions.ConfigException: Client secrets must be for a web or installed app

Search for this string via google …

(in fact this thread is seen in that google search)

Did your predecessor (who is apparently allowing you to sweat) leave file credentials.json required to access your google spreadsheets account?

This thread from google search explains …

As the error indicates, you likely have the wrong type of client or content in credentials.json . Please use the button in the quickstart to download the correct credentials.

Your new laptop (if it was not used by your predecessor) might simply need credentials.json to be downloaded.

Since you appear to be using Ubuntu try searching for this file …

sudo locate credentials.json

Study also the Google Spreadsheets Python API to access google spreadsheets.

Once you have mastered accessing google spreadsheets directly using Python, you can then add the Atom setup into the workflow. But thinking that this is an Atom problem will lead you down a blind alley.

I would first try getting your laptop to access your google spreadsheets account.

[Later notes added]

On second read I see this …

I can tell this may be a problem with my json file but its EXACTLY the same as it is on my desktop and shit is working there just fine.

I presume you refer to credentials.json?

Does the workflow work from your desktop?

Do the two versions of credentials.json have identical permissions (including user)?

hey there! thank you for responding, so I have done the pip install for sheets, gspread, data frame, gspread pandas, and a couple of other things. and as far as the .json file I have my own we had set up together, and I have the key saved to this laptop as well. I just slacked it over to myself and saved it on here. and yes the code will run with no error code on my desktop, as far as identical permissions I know the file looks exactly the same on both:
private key, client email, client ID, etc all the fields are exactly the same but I’m not sure about user permissions, what does that mean?

Check and compare permissions of files (and also check if they have same permissions in their parent folders in the filepaths). Files “looking the same” may not be enough. Their permissions should also “look the same”.

[added explanation]

I don’t know how experienced you are in using Ubuntu. But if I have a script placed in /opt directory (as you have … ) usually I need sudo permissions to run the script or app.

Try running this command in a standard gnome-terminal

python3 /opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gspread_pandas/client.py

just to test result.

I will try that now! thank you SO much for responding I appreciate it so much.