Sorting package search results by

This seems like such a no-brainer… maybe I am missing something… When I’m searching for packages, why can’t I sort the results? 9 out of 10 times I want the plugin that has the most downloads or stars. On rare occasion, I would like to see the most recently published first. The current sorting methodology is completely useless for me. I’m not interested in sifting through piles of plugins that I don’t have time to experiment with, I need know which one is the most widely used because this almost always means it’s the most stable.

While I agree that sort options would be nice, I think sorting is determined by how close the result is to the search term. For example, when I search for “nsis”, packages starting with “nsis” appear first (e.g. nsis-ide), but most people are probably looking for language-nsis. When you know this, you optimize your search keywords accordingly.

This is a duplicate of a previous topic:

Which is also a subset of a larger topic linked there. We like to unify similar discussions under one topic so that people don’t have to read a bunch of different threads to get the whole story. Please continue the discussion there. I’ll be closing this topic as duplicate.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.