[SOLVED] Trouble building an alternate spellchecker for spell-check on an AMD64 Windows 10

I’m trying to rework the spell-check plugin to work on my reported issue. I got the Linux version working, but I can’t seem to figure out how to get the Windows to install enough for me to test it and get the OS-specific code resolved.

It seems to come down to the problem of getting the spellchecker package working with it. I had jump through a number of hoops to get this far (installing the VC++ targeting package was the latest). I did have to run npm config set msvs_version 2015 --global to get things working.

When this is when I get when I rebuild inside my package.

Rebuilding modules failed                                                                              
gyp                                                                                                    
npm ERR! Windows_NT 6.2.9200                                                                           
npm ERR! argv "C:\\ProgramData\\dmoonfire\\atom\\app-1.4.0\\resources\\app\\apm\\bin\\node.exe" "C:\\Pr
ogramData\\dmoonfire\\atom\\app-1.4.0\\resources\\app\\apm\\node_modules\\npm\\bin\\npm-cli.js" "--glob
alconfig" "C:\\Users\\dmoonfire\\.atom\\.apm\\.apmrc" "--userconfig" "C:\\Users\\dmoonfire\\.atom\\.apm
rc" "rebuild" "--target=0.34.5" "--arch=ia32"                                                          
npm ERR! node v0.10.40                                                                                 
npm ERR! npm  v2.13.3                                                                                  
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE                                                                               
npm ERR! spellchecker@3.2.0 install: `node-gyp rebuild`                                                
npm ERR! Exit status 1                                                                                 
npm ERR!                                                                                               
npm ERR! Failed at the spellchecker@3.2.0 install script 'node-gyp rebuild'.                           
npm ERR! This is most likely a problem with the spellchecker package,                                  
npm ERR! not with npm itself.                                                                          
npm ERR! Tell the author that this fails on your system:                                               
npm ERR!     node-gyp rebuild                                                                          
npm ERR! You can get their info via:                                                                   
npm ERR!     npm owner ls spellchecker                                                                 
npm ERR! There is likely additional logging output above.                                              

PS P:\Development\spell-check>

I tried running that specific command directly:

> spellchecker@3.2.0 install P:\Development\spell-check\node_modules\spellchecker
> node-gyp rebuild

P:\Development\spell-check\node_modules\spellchecker>if not defined npm_config_node_gyp (node "C:\ProgramData\dmoonfire\atom\app-1.4.0\resources\app\apm\node_modules\npm\bin\node-gyp-bin\\..\..\node_modules\node-gyp\bin\node-gyp.js" rebuild )  else (node  rebuild )
gyp WARN install got an error, rolling back install
gyp ERR! configure error
gyp ERR! stack Error: 404 response downloading https://nodejs.org/dist/v0.34.5/node-v0.34.5.tar.gz
gyp ERR! stack     at Request.<anonymous> (C:\ProgramData\dmoonfire\atom\app-1.4.0\resources\app\apm\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\lib\install.js:251:14)
gyp ERR! stack     at emitOne (events.js:82:20)
gyp ERR! stack     at Request.emit (events.js:169:7)
gyp ERR! stack     at Request.onRequestResponse (C:\ProgramData\dmoonfire\atom\app-1.4.0\resources\app\apm\node_modules\npm\node_modules\request\request.js:992:10)
gyp ERR! stack     at emitOne (events.js:77:13)
gyp ERR! stack     at ClientRequest.emit (events.js:169:7)
gyp ERR! stack     at HTTPParser.parserOnIncomingClient (_http_client.js:421:21)
gyp ERR! stack     at HTTPParser.parserOnHeadersComplete (_http_common.js:88:23)
gyp ERR! stack     at TLSSocket.socketOnData (_http_client.js:311:20)
gyp ERR! stack     at emitOne (events.js:77:13)
gyp ERR! System Windows_NT 10.0.10586
gyp ERR! command "C:\\Program Files\\nodejs\\node.exe" "C:\\ProgramData\\dmoonfire\\atom\\app-1.4.0\\resources\\app\\apm\\node_modules\\npm\\node_modules\\node-gyp\\bin\\node-gyp.js" "rebuild"
gyp ERR! cwd P:\Development\spell-check\node_modules\spellchecker
gyp ERR! node -v v5.3.0
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v2.0.2
gyp ERR! not ok

npm ERR! Windows_NT 6.2.9200
npm ERR! argv "C:\\ProgramData\\dmoonfire\\atom\\app-1.4.0\\resources\\app\\apm\\bin\\node.exe" "C:\\Programdata\\dmoonfire\\atom\\app-1.4.0\\resources\\app\\apm\\node_modules\\npm\\bin\\npm-cli.js" "--globalconfig" "C:\\users\\dmoonfire\\.atom\\.apm\\.apmrc" "--userconfig" "C:\\users\\dmoonfire\\.atom\\.apmrc" "rebuild" "--target=0.34.5" "--arch=ia32"
npm ERR! node v0.10.40
npm ERR! npm  v2.13.3
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! spellchecker@3.2.0 install: `node-gyp rebuild`
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the spellchecker@3.2.0 install script 'node-gyp rebuild'.
npm ERR! This is most likely a problem with the spellchecker package,
npm ERR! not with npm itself.
npm ERR! Tell the author that this fails on your system:
npm ERR!     node-gyp rebuild
npm ERR! You can get their info via:
npm ERR!     npm owner ls spellchecker
npm ERR! There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! Please include the following file with any support request:
npm ERR!     P:\Development\spell-check\npm-debug.log

I’m not entirely sure why it is trying to download https://nodejs.org/dist/v0.34.5/node-v0.34.5.tar.gz when apm --version says:

apm  1.5.0
npm  2.13.3
node 0.10.40
python 2.7.11
git 1.9.5.msysgit.0
visual studio

Any help pointing me to the right direction would help.

I just got the 1.4.1 version and it still gave me that error. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Atom, but still it won’t let me build.

You may want to try building against a newer version of Node. Atom uses v4.1.1 in the latest versions, so perhaps that’s why things aren’t building properly?

Doesn’t Atom have its own packaged Node? I just did a fresh install of Atom 1.4.1 this morning and still have it using node 0.10.40 according to apm --version. Outside of Atom, I have node v5.3.0.

I’m downloading Visual Studio to see if that makes a difference.

Thank you.

Yes, Atom and apm each have their own packaged version of Node. I’m not terribly familiar with what could be causing gyp errors on Windows … so I was just suggesting something to try :grinning:

Apparently, I had to explicitly update npm to the latest version with npm install --global npm. Once that was done, apm rebuild worked without a problem.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.