Slower app behavior isn't possible I guess

Dear All/dear Developer!

It’s now quite some time ago when I started to try Atom as my new text editor. I loved the style mainly so I thought about giving it a shot especially with some packages that really sounded great. But there’s just one very big fail among smaller ones and this is the speed. I’m waiting longer for Atoms start up than I wait for Netbeans to open. This is for just editing a simple text file just much too long. If it takes longer than Netbeans start up I think I’m staying with Notepad++. This is a joke for a simple text editor. Of course I also added the IDE packages, maybe that’s where the speed gets lost but I think before I installed it it was already pretty slow.

Also many packages are just not well done at all. E.g. the IDE packages… What are they doing anyway? I really expected to have a solid folder structure on the left side and the files contents on the right side. It’s somehow working but the “project” functionality is behaving so strangely… As if the developers never used an IDE before and you make advertisment for it on your main atom.io site… Sorry but maybe ask yourself once, what’s the point in creating atom? Shouldn’t it have advantages compared to other editors somewhere? What makes atom better than others? I mean at the moment atom only has disadvantages with any other editor I know.

I can see absolutely no reason to stay with it even if I would have love to, but it’s not really an advantage if you have to wait so long for a simple program start up.

Sorry but it’s simply the worst new editor I ever tried.

Hope you’ll fix the speed and create much better packages… Maybe implement a solid project handling from the start and not let others implement some weird behaving left sidebar (can’t really call it something else). Make file->new project and file->open project menus and handle them as such in a stable and especially user friendly way.

Dear @oliiix!

Feel free to help contribute in any way you think you are capable. Atom is an open source effort by a small team, and really appreciates help from community members like you or me!

Yes, speed has always been a concern. Efforts are always being made to optimise it. If you have any ideas, please feel free to chip in!

People often say things like “X feature is missing, so I’m going to use product Y instead unless you fix it”. I never really understood those comments; if you like the other product better, go for it! No one is trying to force you to use Atom. Of course, if you like Atom and want to help it do better, an actionable issue or well written PR is always appreciated!

By actionable, I mean something that can be isolated, measurable, narrow in scope, etc. So

• “I looked at the start up process and found an excessive amout of time was spent doing X. Maybe we could do Y instead?”

instead of

• “Atom is slow: Fix it now or I’ll never use it again”.

The first will take more effort than the second, but is much more likely to get a response and/or PR addressing it. The vaguer an issue is, the more time and effort it takes just to even understand it and work out a solution.

I don’t quite understand; is the outline view of atom-ide-ui not working? Try going in the menu bar View -> Toggle outline. If your project has support for an outline (I know it works for TypeScript at least), it will display a file contents tree on the right.

If I’ve misunderstood, this would be an excellent example of something that can be clearly explained in an issue, complete with current and expected behaviour.

And it’s totally fine if you feel that way. As I said above, nobody is forcing Atom on you. If another editor suits your needs better, please use it. Really.

Another candidate for elaboration about what is happening vs what you expect

And another

Thanks for your understanding; I hope this helps put everything in perspective. Again, feel free to not use Atom. But on the flip side, any contributions (PR, issue submission, etc.) are always appreciated!

I know it’s totally fine if I feel that way. It’s more about that I’d love to use it but can’t and I’m telling you why. So this is my contribution, I surely don’t invest any work into it as I have my own projects where I’m working on. Everything I said i said because these are areas where you need to work on. In Your Own Interest. I mean do you wanna spend that much work on a product that isn’t worth it to begin with? Shouldn’t it be a text editor? Shouldn’t it be fast? It’s the total opposite of what it should be and that’s what I tell you. This is not about me! This is about telling you what is wrong so you can have a look at it. You should want others to use it not me and therefore I tell you my experience using it. I don’t care to use another editor. Of course not, but as I like the editor besides it being slow as a snail, I thought of giving you my cents. This isn’t about me, it’s about you (everyone who works on it). Do you want all the work to be for nothing? :wink:

What I meant regarding the left sidebar. The folder structure is a huge mess. Either you work with “projects” to begin with, or you see to it that the folder location changes as soon as another file is being opened. I have folder structures shown on the left side and a file from a completely different location open on the right etc (don’t get me wrong, I haven’t even installed it anymore, this was at the time testing atom). It’s not congruent at all. Let’s not talk about projects at all as they are mere jokes. Yes I know I don’t have to use it and I won’t as I have done since this last entry of mine. This are obvious mistakes I’m telling you as my contribution nothing more. You can ignore it, you can take it seriously. I don’t mind, but as it was free I thought I’d share with you my experiences! Still, it’s not about me :wink:

Isolating, measuring or narrowing down in scope is others “job” not mine but it should be ur interest that others use your software shouldn’t it, or do you love doing work for nothing? :smiley:

You can’t tell me anyone is seriously using atom right now… Maybe they want to wait so long so they don’t have to work too much^^ And yes, it’s open source project. Like Firefox, Filezilla, Netbeans (but these are all behaving as they should :smiley: )

I NEVER SAID: Atom is slow: Fix it now or I’ll never use it again (this is your own understanding of my text and not what I said!!!)

and btw, actually saying “i don’t use it when u don’t change it” (even though I clearly haven’t) is helping as well. because if everyone says it in the end, it’s a clear statement that something is wrong and the developer should change something if he wants his product to be used. It’s about your own level of ignorance if you want to use stuff that people say in any way or not. You can look at my text as “the accused” or you can look at what I say from a third perspective, do not feel being accused by me in any way and actually use the information i give you

You think that your personal gripes with the program are some kind of God’s Truth and that everyone has the same issues but just don’t recognize them. No, we don’t, and if we did we would work to fix them, because we’re active members of the community. We have our own issues, and when they’re significant we try to help out. Unlike you, clearly.

Shouldn’t it be a text editor?

It is.

Shouldn’t it be fast?

No, because it’s written in JavaScript. JavaScript isn’t fast at doing all the things Atom wants to do.

You should want others to use it not me

Others do use it. You’re the one with the problems.

This isn’t about me, it’s about you (everyone who works on it). Do you want all the work to be for nothing?

You’re such a martyr.

What I meant regarding the left sidebar. The folder structure is a huge mess. Either you work with “projects” to begin with, or you see to it that the folder location changes as soon as another file is being opened.

Where “a huge mess” is actually code for “I was surprised that the program functions differently than I expected and spent absolutely zero time asking whether that might have been implemented for a reason”.

Still, it’s not about me

It is entirely about you and your ego.

it should be ur interest that others use your software shouldn’t it, or do you love doing work for nothing?

Why are you putting it all on a random person on an Internet forum? Do you just assume that the first person who responds to your screed is a developer? After all, if @oliiix doesn’t like a piece of software, it must be the case that nobody outside the development team uses it. It can’t possibly be that there are so many forks of the repository that GitHub refuses to display them all.

You can’t tell me anyone is seriously using atom right now…

These are the only words from your post I actually believe. We can’t tell you because you’ve closed your eyes and ears to anything that might make you reconsider your perspective. You come on to a forum dedicated to helping people and you waste our time responding to your useless complaints sprinkled with a seasoning of ad-hominem attacks at the people who have built this software on their own time. “Have the developers never used an IDE before?” without ever once considering that maybe they have and they made different choices because they wanted to and because your personal aesthetics are not as universal as you want to believe.

In the future, please fix your attitude. Don’t attack people. Don’t request that the entire software be rewritten unless you plan to contribute a significant amount of work. Right now, your approach is toxic and will only earn the ire of everywhere you make such a vitriol-laden complaint.