Setting up remote FTP

The documentation gives this as instruction for setting up Remote FTP:

" (Packages -> Remote FTP -> Create (s) FTP config file)"

The problem I have is that there is no such selection as “Create (s) FTP config file”. Can someone tell me how this is done?

Many thanks.

It clearly says in the documentation to “create” the config file, you have to make it.

1. Create a configuration file for your project (Packages -> Remote FTP -> Create (s)FTP config file)Bildschirmfoto von 2020-02-09 12-03-50

Thanks for your efforts, but this only restates the quote I made in my question. It doesn’t tell me how it’s done. I googled how the config file might be created, but for someone who’s merely used Dreamweaver for a decade and never needed to integrate an FTP package, it does appear that there is a lot I should first know and a large room for error. It completely amazes me that thousands of people have integrated the (s)FTP package into Atom and apparently they all did it by manually creating a config file without a peep of help.

Some suggestions.
I would advise that you drop FTP (if your host only supports FTP, which is insecure, change to an alternative host … there are many). And rather than searching for an inbuilt Atom package I would consider linking Atom to another tool such as PuTTY (I prefer to use a toolchain rather than adding more packages to Atom). PuTTY session can be driven through command line so I would make that bridge Atom -> PuTTY using command in process-palette package.

https://www.ssh.com/ssh/putty/putty-manuals/0.68/Chapter3.html#using-cmdline

Process-palette described here …

You can also add custom buttons/menus to Atom top menu bar to launch process-palette custom commands to emulate your old Dreamweaver actions.

However, I use ansible scripts rather than PuTTY for such client - server tasks.

https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/user_guide/intro_getting_started.html

These are my personal ideas and configuring an atom package might in fact offer the easiest approach.

It does seems that whenever I suggest that Atom can cooperate with other tools through the command line my post is “flagged by the community”.

=====================================

This post is edited since my first reply (“peep”) above was flagged as “off-topic”. So I will address the “topic” and then suggest why I would not follow this advice.

The remote-ftp package is here (but there are others if OP searches further).

OP does not specify the exact package name. However, continuing with remote-ftp.

Enable browsing remote FTP/FTPS/SFTP just like the built-in Tree View. Requires a project.

The OP refers to FTP and not SFTP. FTP protocol is not secure and it is recommended that SFTP protocol be adopted. If the host server does not support SFTP consider changing.

The configuration file is .ftpconfig placed in the Atom project folder.

The parameters for FTP should be evident. See package documentation.

… … …

If OP searches further there is this Atom package remote-ssh.

Putty specific options in .ftpconfig
The session option was added in case you have saved sessions inside your Putty and you want to re-use those.

This allows OP to use PuTTY tool to make a test connection, and then transfer the session configuration into Atom remote-ssh ftpconfig file.

If Atom process-palette package is installed OP can “drive” PuTTY directly through command line.

If OP prefers to emulate the client-server functions offered by Dreamweaver the Atom top menu bar can be customised to execute a number of process-palette commands. For example I have “Toggle Custom Commands” in my top bar. I can also launch Ansible playbooks to manage localhost < – > remote host.

Conclusions:

FTP is insecure.

SFTP setup requires a project configuration file.

Mix and match operations using other tools such as PuTTY.

Many thanks for your answers!

My server fully supports sFTP and I’m now part of the way there. I have learned that configuring the ftp.config is fairly easy. But of course there’s another step I need to take – I need to build an .ssh.config file, or so Atom says when I try to connect. Is someone able to show a sample or suggest how this can be done?

Just search in google … “install ssh in windows” … to find snippets of advice. I’m assuming that you are a Windows user.