Selectors for markdown syntax

I’d like to adjust only the markdown syntax color trough the styles.less custom file.

Where can I find a cheatsheet of selectors or similar reference for markdown?

There’s no cheat sheet, but you can always look at the code for the package (you haven’t specified whether you’re using language-gfm or language-markdown). To specify the language, use atom-text-editor.source.gfm or atom-text-editor.text.md, respectively for each of those packages.

I see language-gfm in the Package list.

Then I should look here: https://github.com/atom/language-gfm/blob/master/grammars/gfm.cson?

How does all that translate to CSS selectors?

Each name entry translates to CSS selectors in Atom’s DOM that get applied to whatever text is caught by match. So if you want to style all punctuation tokens in a Markdown editor, you would use something like this:

atom-text-editor.source.gfm {
  .punctuation {
    color: yellow;
  }
}

You can also just use .gfm.punctuation if you want to be terse about it, but I prefer my way for readability and organization.

What lines from that file led to realize its .punctuation that you need to use?

But I seem to have even more issues: I’m not getting any change with

atom-text-editor.source.gfm {
  background-color: hsl(180, 24%, 12%);
}

but it is working if I uncomment the example:

atom-text-editor {
 background-color: hsl(180, 24%, 12%);
}
.gfm.punctuation {
}

also isn’t working.

This is working;

atom-text-editor .cursor {
  border-color: red;
}

but this isn’t:

atom-text-editor {
  .punctuation {
  }
}

My bad. It’s been a while since I’ve done anything with CSS and grammars, and I blanked on an important couple of points. I have gone back and refreshed my memory and here’s the correct answer. I should have checked my memory before posting.

atom-text-editor[data-grammar="source gfm"] {
  .syntax--punctuation {
  }
}

Thank you for your help!

Your example is working, I was able to apply it to another source as well.

I’m still trying to figure out the selectors though.

.syntax--bold {
    color: blue;
  }

is working, but:

.syntax--heading {
    color: blue;
  }

isn’t.

I tried some additions and various combinations but can’t figure out how headers should be selected, collectively, or individual levels.

Also, how do I select “bold and italic”?

There doesn’t seem to be anything inside that package that links the grammar with CSS. I was hoping to find the file where it comes together so I can figure out the selectors on my own, or maybe a tutorial you can point me to? Just trying to be efficient :wink:

All the name and content name fields give the scopes. You can also use Editor: log cursor scope in command palette to see a scope directly.

For CSS, just prepend everything with syntax--like in DamnedScholar’s example.

I was already trying all those combinations and neither worked. I was trying .syntax--heading and .syntax--heading-2 and others too.

The Inspector from Dev tools helped. It showed my selectors got overriden by

.syntax--gfm .syntax--markup.syntax--heading

so it’s not enough just to prepend syntax--.

Because I use atom-text-editor[data-grammar="source gfm"] I got enough specificity to override with two classes inside it:

.syntax--markup.syntax--heading.

This takes care of the headings (.syntax--markup.syntax--heading-2 etc to override specific levels).

There doesn’t seem to be a special case for bold italic, it gets bold or italic class depending on which code is the outermost. But I do see the “bold italic” case in grammar, maybe some wires got crossed somewhere?

That’s just a name, like anything else. It’s up to the theme to actually apply bold / italic.

Here’s an example of what I use, (I don’t think you’ll run into these scopes though)

@first: #FF9420;	/* Main Primary color */
@second: #FF7F20;	/* Main Secondary color (1) */
@third: #FF6320;	/* Main Secondary color (2) */
@fourth: #FF3F20;	/* Main Complement color */

atom-text-editor .syntax--variable.syntax--parameter {
  &.syntax--optional {
    color: hsl(355, 65%, 65%);
  }

&.syntax--hashtag {
    color: hsl(29, 54%, 61%);
    &.syntax--1 {
      color: @first;
    }
    &.syntax--2 {
      color: @second;
    }
    &.syntax--3 {
      color: @third;
    }
  }
}

There are also more examples of the syntax in existing themes

Thank you! It makes it shorter using Less.

And thank you for the link, that is what I was trying to find in gfm package code, an example of selectors. Now I have to keep myself occupied for a while :smile: