Running script/bootstrap on Mac OS fails

Following the instructions here https://flight-manual.atom.io/hacking-atom/sections/hacking-on-atom-core/#platform-mac, I installed node, npm, and python. After doing that I tried to run script/bootstrap or script/build, but both failed with this message:

/atom/apm/node_modules/atom-package-manager/bin/apm: line 63: /atom/apm/node_modules/atom-package-manager/bin/node: No such file or directory

If I manually copy ~/.nvm/versions/node/v8.3.0/bin/node to /atom/apm/node_modules/atom-package-manager/bin/node then it runs fine. Am I supposed to be installing node to that location to begin with somehow? This does’t seem like the expected behavior.

I haven’t used Mac in a long time, but is it normal to put application source code in a folder under /? In Linux, / folders tend to be owned by root, and weird issues can happen if you try to put something at the root level of the filesystem where it isn’t supposed to be. What happens if you put the source code somewhere inside your user folder and try to build it?

It actually is in my user folder, I just shortened the path so it would be easier to read. Sorry for he confusion

Hmmm, I haven’t seen that error myself building on macOS - if you run a script/clean and then script/build again do you still see the same error?