Running on heroku with xvfb

Hello there!

I’d like to run a small electron script on Heroku. The script simply loads an url (of a local html file) and takes a screenshot of it. Here is a gist with the script main.js and two html files:

Nothing too fancy. I run it using the electron-prebuilt package: electron /path/to/script/folder 800x600 file:///path/to/html/file /tmp/sample.png.

This runs perfectly on my local machine.

Now,the idea is to run it on Heroku. I deployed the electron script using the node.js buildpack. I also needed xvfb which I installed with these buildpacks and scripts: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28687120/is-it-possible-to-run-xvfb-on-heroku.

Now, if I connect to bash (heroku run bash) and try to run the script with:

xvfb-run -s "-ac -screen 0 1000x1000x24" electron /path/to/script/folder 800x600 file:///path/to/html/file /tmp/sample.png

I get the following results:

• for the sample_text.html file, it works perfectly.
  • for the sample_image.html file, I get an empty screenshot.

I tried to run this on a vagrant Ubuntu server and it works correctly for the sample_text.html and sample_image.html files.

I’m not sure why I’m getting an empty screenshot for the image sample. First, I thought that it would be something to do with xvfb but it’s working correctly for the text sample.

If anyone has some experience with electron + heroku + xfvb and has some idea of what’s going on, I would be super grateful.