Restart and update does not work (MacOS)

Same, I tried all the listed solutions, but still restarts with same version.

This is still an issue for me on macOS 10.13.6 with the most recent version of Atom. Why hasn’t this been fixed yet? No other application I know of has this problem, so this shouldn’t be hard to fix.

I have also seen this issue for a while. I have to manually download each version. I have tried all suggestions for fixing in this thread. Latest OS X.

Sometimes it seems to work if I wait a long time (5+ minutes). Perhaps something is taking unusually long and a progress indication is needed.

Seems like a progress bar has been a useful tool for the last several decades… might be worth the investment on their part

I just noticed something, and it might help debugging the issue - although I’m really confused about it. This problem is happening since I started using atom, and most of the time I just download the new version and install it manually. But this morning I had two updates, one from 1.30.0 to 1.31.0 and then to 1.31.1.

At the first update I was curious what is it doing in the background; I wanted to get the PID, so I issued a ps aux | grep -i atom, and it immediately opened up. Then another update came, I waited a little bit, it didn’t seem to be doing anything, so I issued the command again and - believe it or not - it popped up again (the updated version of course). I also had 2 Atoms running after the second update (I guess the previous process somehow didn’t exit).

I don’t know how it happens, but that’s what I found, so next time I update atom, I’ll do a ps or something :slight_smile: (I really don’t understand how this happens, maybe a deadlock?).

Well, this is really strange but this one worked for me too.

In every update before this took like 10 attempts to get new version installed succesfully.

Now tried to open app in finder with right click -> “Open” in Applications folder. Then Atom started in some weird state (the icons were missing and it asked system password for “atom-github” (or something) around 6 times. But after that and one restart everything worked fine.

Might be coincidence of course. Waiting for next version update to confirm.

I had at least triple checked before that my Dock icon pointed to Atom in Application folder and at least Spotlight did not find other Atom instances in hd.

i have removed from dock the atom app and then it has been updated and restarted