[resolved] External app go to line and column numbers

Hello,

Unity 3d sends requests to Atom using this format:

filename.txt(LINE_NUMBER,COLUMN_NUMBER)

Unfortunately, Atom expects:

filename.txt:LINE_NUMBER:COLUMN_NUMBER

(Related issue here)

I would like to write a plugin for Atom that would fix this issue, but I’m not sure where to look (in terms of Atom source code) and/or start (or, if this is even possible, to override the built-in Atom “go to” line/col number, call from external app, behavior).

My questions:

1. Would this be possible to accomplish as an Atom plugin?
  2. Can anyone recommend specific Atom source code files (or, similar plugins) for me to look at to get some ideas?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Ah, I think I found the relevant source code here:

Now I just need to figure out how to override via a plugin. Is this possible? If so, could anyone provide tips on how to go about this? I mean, generally speaking. I am not asking for someone to write the code for me. Just looking for a kick in right direction. :slightly_smiling:

The files in src/browser are executed as part of the Electron main process. Atom packages run in the renderer process. There currently isn’t any support for creating Atom packages that alter the main process stuff.

Ahhhh, thank you for the reply and information @leedohm, I really appreciate it!

My colleague and I have been playing around with a command line patch, but we have yet to get it to work (e.g., set shell script as the external editor in Unity, which then calls Atom in the proper syntax).

Anyway, I’m sure we’ll figure something out. Maybe I’ll come at it from the Unity end of the spectrum. :slightly_smiling:

Thanks again and have a great night/day!