Resolved : Adblock for electron app

Hi,

My app is using webview to load lot of websites.
I want block ads/trackers from those website.
Since electron is not supporting chrome addons, Is there any way to block those ads and trackers?

Thanks
Jk

Is there any ad-block module for Electron?

I think you’ll have to write your own adblocker, but Brave already did that, so you might be able to find out what they did by looking at the source code.

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion. I checked that but i guess it will take some time for me to understand what is exactly happening in brave, in the meantime i found these links
https://github.com/brave/ad-block.
https://github.com/minbrowser/min [This also uses custom adblock]
Currently I dont have any idea on these links, I will give a try and update this thread if that works for me

Thanks
Jk

Well, that’s good. It looks like brave/ad-block is something you can just drop into a project once you figure out precisely how to interact with it.

Hi,

I tried to used brave/ad-block unfortunately it dont have clear documentation.

URL I want to check if it is ad/tracker : https://www.google.ie/gen_204?atyp=i&ct=slh&cad=&ei=OdWtWLPnI4mmsgHd4ILgBQ&s=2&v=2&pv=0.6461194853086566&me=10:
domain I loaded/current domain in url bar : www.google.ie

I cant understand their sample can any one help me understand this

Which URL I have to give in client.parse in below sample
Why is slashdot.org given inclient.matches(‘http://www.brianbondy.com/public/ad/some-ad’, FilterOptions.script, ‘slashdot.org’)

Sample given by brave adblock

const {AdBlockClient, FilterOptions} = require(‘ad-block’)
const client = new AdBlockClient()

client.parse(’/public/ad/$domain=slashdot.org’)
client.parse(’/public/ad3/
$script’)

var b1 = client.matches(‘http://www.brianbondy.com/public/ad/some-ad’, FilterOptions.script, ‘slashdot.org’)
var b2 = client.matches(‘http://www.brianbondy.com/public/ad/some-ad’, FilterOptions.script, ‘digg.com’)

console.log('public/ad/* should match b1. Actual: ', b1)
console.log('public/ad/* should not match b2. Actual: ', b2)

How about this:

https://www.npmjs.com/package/abp-filter-parser

It seems really easy to use. It’s a NodeJs module so just require it. All you do is give it an URL and it will return boolean to say whether you should block it or not.

It contains a copy of the AdBlock Plus block list, but according to the header that one is quite old, so go to the specified website to download a fresh copy (your code will ideally need to update the file automatically, perhaps once per week?).

[Adblock Plus 2.0]
! Checksum: 0rf0saEyajXNmZMk2fxPAQ
! Version: 201506241930
! Title: EasyList
! Last modified: 24 Jun 2015 19:30 UTC
! Expires: 4 days (update frequency)
! Homepage: https://easylist.adblockplus.org/
! Licence: https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/COPYING
!
! Please report any unblocked adverts or problems
! in the forums (https://forums.lanik.us/)
! or via e-mail (easylist.subscription@gmail.com).

You can also define your own filters if you need to:

https://adblockplus.org/en/filters

@erikwallace-lewdewe Thanks for you suggestion.
I tried that solution It is working but very slow, I am not sure why it is so slow in my system.
Finally I end up with my own version

session.defaultSession.webRequest.onBeforeRequest(['*://*./*'], function(details, callback) {

var test_url = details.url;
        var check_block_list =/\.(gr|hk||fm|eu|it|es|is|net|ke|me||tz|za|zm|uk|us|in|com|de|fr|zw|tv|sk|se|php|pk|pl)\/ads?[\-_./\?]|(stats?|rankings?|tracks?|trigg|webtrends?|webtrekk|statistiche|visibl|searchenginejournal|visit|webstat|survey|spring).*.(com|net|de|fr|co|it|se)|cloudflare|\/statistics\/|torrent|[\-_./]ga[\-_./]|[\-_./]counter[\-_./\?]|ad\.admitad\.|\/widgets?[\-_./]?ads?|\/videos?[\-_./]?ads?|\/valueclick|userad|track[\-_./]?ads?|\/top[\-_./]?ads?|\/sponsor[\-_./]?ads?|smartadserver|\/sidebar[\-_]?ads?|popunder|\/includes\/ads?|\/iframe[-_]?ads?|\/header[-_]?ads?|\/framead|\/get[-_]?ads?|\/files\/ad*|exoclick|displayad|\ajax\/ad|adzone|\/assets\/ad*|advertisement|\/adv\/*\.|ad-frame|\.com\/bads\/|follow-us|connect-|-social-|googleplus.|linkedin|footer-social.|social-media|gmail|commission|adserv\.|omniture|netflix|huffingtonpost|dlpageping|log204|geoip\.|baidu|reporting\.|paypal|maxmind|geo\.|api\.bit|hits|predict|cdn-cgi|record_|\.ve$|radar|\.pop|\.tinybar\.|\.ranking|.cash|\.banner\.|adzerk|gweb|alliance|adf\.ly|monitor|urchin_post|imrworldwide|gen204|twitter|naukri|hulu.com|baidu|seotools|roi-|revenue|tracking.js|\/tracking[\-_./]?|elitics|demandmedia|bizrate|click-|click\.|bidsystem|affiliates?\.|beacon|hit\.|googleadservices|metrix|googleanal|dailymotion|ga.js|survey|trekk|visit_|arcadebanners?|visitor\.|ielsen|cts\.|link_|ga-track|FacebookTracking|quantc|traffic|evenuescien|roitra|pixelt|pagetra|metrics|[-_/.]?stats?[.-_/]?|common_|accounts\.|contentad|iqadtile|boxad|audsci.js|ebtrekk|seotrack|clickalyzer|youtube|\/tracker\/|ekomi|clicky|[-_/.]?click?[.-_/]?|[-_/.]?tracking?[.-_/]?|[-_/.]?track?[.-_/]?|ghostery|hscrm|watchvideo|clicks4ads|mkt[0-9]|createsend|analytix|shoppingshadow|clicktracks|admeld|google-analytics|-analytic|googletagservices|googletagmanager|tracking\.|thirdparty|track\.|pflexads|smaato|medialytics|doubleclick|cloudfront|-static|-static-|static-|sponsored-banner|static_|_static_|_static|sponsored_link|sponsored_ad|googleadword|analytics\.|googletakes|adsbygoogle|analytics-|-analytic|analytic-|googlesyndication|google_adsense2|googleAdIndexTop|\/ads\/|google-ad-|google-ad?|google-adsense-|google-adsense.|google-adverts-|google-adwords|google-afc-|google-afc.|google\/ad\?|google\/adv\.|google160.|google728.|_adv|google_afc.|google_afc_|google_afs.|google_afs_widget|google_caf.js|google_lander2.js|google_radlinks_|googlead|googleafc.|googleafs.|googleafvadrenderer.|googlecontextualads.|googleheadad.|googleleader.|googleleads.|googlempu.|ads_|_ads_|_ads|easyads|easyads|easyadstrack|ebayads|[.\-_/\?](ads?|clicks?|tracks?|tracking|logs?)[.\-_/]?(banners?|mid|trends|pathmedia|tech|units?|vert*|fox|area|loc|nxs|format|call|script|final|systems?|show|tag\.?|collect*|slot|right|space|taily|vids?|supply|true|targeting|counts?|nectar|net|onion|parlor|2srv|searcher|fundi|nimation|context|stats?|vertising|class|infuse|includes?|spacers?|code|images?|vers|texts?|work*|tail|track|streams?|ability||world*|zone|position|vertisers?|servers?|view|partner|data)[.\-_/]?/gi
        var check_white_list =/status|premoa.*.jpg|rakuten|nitori-net|search\?tbs\=sbi\:|google.*\/search|ebay.*static.*g|\/shopping\/product|aclk?|translate.googleapis.com|encrypted-|product|www.googleadservices.com\/pagead\/aclk|target.com|.css/gi;
        var block_me = check_block_list.test(test_url);
        var release_me = check_white_list.test(test_url);

if(release_me){
            callback({cancel: false})
        }else if(block_me){
            callback({cancel: true});

}else{
        }

});

I tried to create a generic filter to block everything.
I have very limited sites to work with so if any site is broken I can add them in whitelist.
Currently this is working fine, In future I will try to integrate with proper parser.

Thanks.

Electron Intercept HTTP request, response on BrowserWindow

Hmm, the AdBlock rules file is about 1.5 to 1.8 MB so maybe that’s just too much to process to respond quickly.

I also thinks the same due to huge filter size it is working slowly, but the solution I gave is working fine I have to optimize that

Hi,

I implemented my own version of ad-block, If any one needs this you can use it and help me to improve this.

Main.js - If anything breaks add that pattern in whitelist

session.defaultSession.webRequest.onBeforeRequest(['*://*./*'], function(details, callback) {

var test_url = details.url;
    var check_block_list =/mathtag.com|pulsemgr.com|advertising.com|bluecava.com|estara\.com|\/site_ads|\.omtrdc\.net|thebrighttag\.com|coremetrics\.com|\.(gr|hk|fm|eu|it|es|is|net|ke|me||tz|za|zm|uk|us|in|com|de|fr|zw|tv|sk|se|php|pk|pl)\/ads?[\-_./\?]|(stats?|rankings?|tracks?|trigg|webtrends?|webtrekk|statistiche|visibl|searchenginejournal|visit|webstat|survey|spring).*.(com|net|de|fr|co|it|se|jp|es)|cloudflare|\/statistics\/|torrent|[\-_./]ga[\-_./]|[\-_./]counter[\-_./\?]|ad\.admitad\.|\/widgets?[\-_./]?ads?|\/videos?[\-_./]?ads?|\/valueclick|userad|track[\-_./]?ads?|\/top[\-_./]?ads?|\/sponsor[\-_./]?ads?|smartadserver|\/sidebar[\-_]?ads?|popunder|\/includes\/ads?|\/iframe[-_]?ads?|\/header[-_]?ads?|\/framead|\/get[-_]?ads?|\/files\/ad*|exoclick|displayad|\ajax\/ad|adzone|\/assets\/ad*|advertisement|\/adv\/*\.|ad-frame|\.com\/bads\/|follow-us|connect-|-social-|googleplus.|linkedin|footer-social.|social-media|gmail|commission|adserv\.|omniture|netflix|huffingtonpost|dlpageping|log204|geoip\.|baidu|reporting\.|paypal|maxmind|geo\.|api\.bit|hits|predict|cdn-cgi|record_|\.ve$|radar|\.pop|\.tinybar\.|\.ranking|.cash|\.banner\.|adzerk|gweb|alliance|adf\.ly|monitor|urchin_post|imrworldwide|gen204|twitter|naukri|hulu.com|baidu|seotools|roi-|revenue|tracking.js|\/tracking[\-_./]?|elitics|demandmedia|bizrate|click-|bidsystem|affiliates?\.|beacon|hit\.|googleadservices|metrix|googleanal|abmr.net|dailymotion|ga.js|survey|trekk|tellapart.com|arcadebanners?|ielsen|cts\.|link_|ga-track|FacebookTracking|quantc|traffic|evenuescien|csi\.gstatic|gen_204|roitra|pixelt|pagetra|metrics|[-_/.]?stats?[.-_/]?|common_|accounts\.|contentad|iqadtile|boxad|audsci.js|ebtrekk|seotrack|clickalyzer|youtube|\/tracker\/|ekomi|clicky|[-_/.]?tracking?[.-_/]?|[-_/.]?track?[.-_/]?|ghostery|hscrm|watchvideo|clicks4ads|mkt[0-9]|createsend|analytix|shoppingshadow|clicktracks|admeld|google-analytics|-analytic|googletagservices|googletagmanager|tracking\.|thirdparty|track\.|pflexads|smaato|medialytics|doubleclick.net|doubleclick.com|\-static|\-static\-|static\-|sponsored\-banner|static\_|\_static\_|tagtray.com|tracking2.channeladvisor.com|js-agent.newrelic.com|agkn.com|twitter.com\/oct\.js|\_static|duckduckgo\.com\/t\/|sponsored_link|sponsored_ad|googleadword|analytics\.|googletakes|adsbygoogle|analytics\-|\-analytic|analytic\-|googlesyndication|\.net\/p\.gif\?|adsense|googleAdIndexTop|\/ads\/|google-ad-|google-ad?|google-adsense-|google-adsense.|google-adverts-|google-adwords|google-afc-|google-afc.|google\/ad\?|google\/adv\.|google160.|google728.|_adv|google_afc.|google_afc_|google_afs.|google_afs_widget|google_caf.js|google_lander2.js|google_radlinks_|googlead|googleafc.|googleafs.|googleafvadrenderer.|googlecontextualads.|googleheadad.|googleleader.|googleleads.|googlempu.|ads\_|\_ads\_|\_ads|dynaTraceMonitor|advertise.js|\_promo\_id\=|bazaarvoice.com|\/b\/ss\/\*\&aqe\=|analytics-static.ugc.bazaarvoice.com|iesnare.com|easyads|easyads|easyadstrack|ebayads|[.\-_/\?](ads?|clicks?|tracks?|tracking|logs?)[.\-_/]?(banners?|mid|trends|pathmedia|tech|units?|vert*|fox|area|loc|nxs|format|call|script|final|systems?|show|tag\.?|collect*|slot|right|space|taily|vids?|supply|true|targeting|counts?|nectar|net|onion|parlor|2srv|searcher|fundi|nimation|context|stats?|vertising|class|infuse|includes?|spacers?|code|images?|vers|texts?|work*|tail|track|streams?|ability||world*|zone|position|vertisers?|servers?|view|partner|data)[.\-_/]?/gi
    var check_white_list =/seller|min.js|logos?|jquery|catalog|status|premoa.*.jpg|rakuten|nitori-net|search\?tbs\=sbi\:|google.*\/search|\/shopping\/product|aclk?|translate.googleapis.com|encrypted-|product|www.googleadservices.com\/pagead\/aclk|statue|target.com|.css|lib.js|tealeaf.js/gi;
    var block_me = check_block_list.test(test_url);
    var release_me = check_white_list.test(test_url);

if(release_me){
    }else if(block_me){
        callback({cancel: true});

}else{
    }

});

preload.js

document.addEventListener("DOMNodeInserted", function (get_id_and_class) {
    var element_id = get_id_and_class.target.id;
    var element_class = get_id_and_class.target.className;

if(element_class !='' && class_hashmap[element_class] !=undefined){
        hide_elements_class(element_class);
    }

if(element_id !='' && id_hashmap[element_id] !=undefined){
        hide_elements_id(element_id);
    }
});

document.addEventListener("DOMSubtreeModified", function (get_id_and_class) {
    var element_id = get_id_and_class.target.id;
    var element_class = get_id_and_class.target.className;

if(element_class !='' && class_hashmap[element_class] !=undefined){
        hide_elements_class(element_class);
    }

if(element_id !='' && id_hashmap[element_id] !=undefined){
        hide_elements_id(element_id);
    }

});

function hide_elements_class(element_class) {
    if (element_class) {
        var appBanners = document.getElementsByClassName(element_class);
        [].forEach.call(appBanners, function (appBanner) {
            appBanner.style.display = 'none';
            console.log('hided the class' +element_class )
        });
    }
}

function hide_elements_id(element_id){
    document.getElementById(element_id).style.display = 'none';
    console.log('hided the id'  +element_id)
}

document.addEventListener("DOMContentLoaded", function () {
    var allElements = document.getElementsByTagName('*');
    for(var i = 0; i < allElements.length; i++) {

if (allElements[i].id !='' && id_hashmap[allElements[i].id] != undefined) {
            hide_elements_id(allElements[i].id);
        }

if (allElements[i].className !='' && class_hashmap[allElements[i].className] != undefined) {
            hide_elements_class(allElements[i].className);

}
    }
});

var class_hashmap={'ad1':'ad1','ad2':'ad2'}
var id_hashmap ={'adid1':'adid1','adid2':adid2}

get id and class of ads from https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easylist.txt

The issue with above method is few class and id are not coming in both
DOMcontentloaded and DomNodeinserted so i cant block those classes/ids.

Example:
google.com display ads in ‘ads-ad class’ but I wont get that class in both DOMcontentloaded and DomNodeinserted.

Is there any way to get all class and id names while loading or after loading

Thanks
Jk

I had the same issue, so I used the brave-ad-block for a simple ad-blocker for electron.
This might be a solution for you problem? It caches the ad-block-clients, so it’s fast. :upside_down_face:

Hi,
@Jense5
Thanks for the update.
I am facing issues in making it work

I did these

$ npm install --save electron-rebuild
$ ./node_modules/.bin/electron-rebuild -f -w ad-block

Rebuild is successful, if i try to npm start

import blockWindowAds from 'electron-ad-blocker';
^^^^^^
SyntaxError: Unexpected token import
    at Object.exports.runInThisContext (vm.js:78:16)
    at Module._compile (module.js:543:28)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:580:10)
    at Module.load (module.js:488:32)
    at tryModuleLoad (module.js:447:12)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:439:3)
    at loadApplicationPackage (/Users/jeyakuma/Desktop/backup/currentproj/UmtElectronClient/node_modules/electron/dist/Electron.app/Contents/Resources/default_app.asar/main.js:283:12)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/Users/jeyakuma/Desktop/backup/currentproj/UmtElectronClient/node_modules/electron/dist/Electron.app/Contents/Resources/default_app.asar/main.js:325:5)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/Users/jeyakuma/Desktop/backup/currentproj/UmtElectronClient/node_modules/electron/dist/Electron.app/Contents/Resources/default_app.asar/main.js:361:3)
    at Module._compile (module.js:571:32)

Did you also faced that issue or only me

I suppose you are not using babel? Try replacing the import line with the code below. This should do the trick. :slightly_smiling_face:

const blockWindowAds = require('electron-ad-blocker').default;

my bad :frowning:
I didn’t read that commented code .

Where have you been these many days :slight_smile:
Awesome work.It works fine :slight_smile:

npm install --save electron-rebuild ./node_modules/.bin/electron-rebuild -f -w ad-block - I removed that (.), because for me it didn’t worked with that .

I tried following commands when I get error while installing this.May help some one

npm uninstall
npm install
export npm_config_abi=50
npm install node-gyp 
npm install rebuild
npm install --save electron-rebuild
./node_modules/.bin/electron-rebuild -f -w ad-block

Thanks
Jk

Hi, why I can’t install your modules. I have put the log here.
Thanks