Remote, browser, view and execution context

I am struggling with understanding how atom is build. Could somebody validate I got it right?

I understand that chrome is divided into browser and renderers which communicate via ipc. I am guessing that scripts in atom/src/browser are executed in browser and those in atom/src are executed in renderers. This is why

"require 'browser-window'" would fail in my test package. 

I found code which works:

"BrowserWindow = require('remote').require 'browser-window'"

And I explain it as follow: the “remote” object gives me link from renderer into the main process, which is capable in its turn to create new browser window. Am I correct in my interpretation?

And what is “< webview >”? Is it an iframe? And this is why it does work in my package, because renderer is allowed to inject elements into its own document?

I think your interpretation is correct. As for webview, there’s some documentation available in the electron repo.

Here’s the excerpt about the differences between webview and iframe:

Different from the iframe, the webview runs in a separate process than your app; it doesn’t have the same permissions as your web page and all interactions between your app and embedded content will be asynchronous. This keeps your app safe from the embedded content.

There is an old topic here:

Where I explain how, at least at the time, Atom started up with references to the code to illustrate how everything fit together. I haven’t worked with Electron for a while though, so it make have changed in the interim.

I hope it helps!

The confusing names of browser and client have been changed. There is a thread about it on atom/atom but I don’t have time to find it at the moment.

Ah ha. Only now I understood relations between Atom and Electron . I thought that Electron is yet another package for Atom whereas in fact, Atom is an application which uses Electron platform. This relation was not obvious after I red Atom documentation.