Remember grammar selection for specific files

Is there any way to get Atom to remember the grammar I select for a specific file, on a file-by-file basis, forever, for everything?

I’m working with Markdown files for a Jekyll site but they have lots of HTML written into them. I want them to display with the “Jekyll (HTML)” grammar, but every time I close and reopen any of them they reset to markdown because they’re all .md files. I’d like Atom to remember the grammar that I select, and always open a specific file with the grammar that I’ve chosen for that file.

If this isn’t a feature yet then I’d like to request it! I’m new to hacking Atom but I’d also be interested in working on a package for this.

It’s easily doable. You’d just have to decide how you want to remember a particular file’s grammar, and then use editor.setGrammar() whenever that file is opened. You can’t necessarily make a particular file open with a particular grammar forever unless you want to attach data to that specific file. However, you could have a file like .atom-grammars in the folder that has file names associated with grammars. You can do this pretty much any way you want to, but I recommend using forbidden characters as your delimiter, so that you won’t have a file name accidentally mess up your package. Something like this:

post.html: text.html.jekyll

Then your package could watch atom.workspace.observeTextEditors(). When a new TextEditor is added, it would check whether there’s a .atom-grammars file in that folder and whether the file name matches an entry. If so, it would set the grammar.

This is super helpful, thanks! I’m going to mess around with this and see if I can get a package like that working.

One thing I couldn’t understand when I was trying this out in my init script and the Dev Tools: it seems like setGrammar() only works if it’s passed an entire Grammar object, but I can’t figure out how to retreive that object by name. The closest I got was calling something like atom.grammars.getGrammars()[64] and assigning it to a variable, then passing that variable to setGrammar(). Is there an easier way to retrieve grammar objects? Maybe without knowing exactly what order they’re in within atom.grammars?

Thanks!

atom.grammars.grammarForScopeName("text.html.jekyll") will return the Grammar object for Jekyll.

You can set recognition in your config file, see the flight manual for details.