One of my uses of another Windows editor before I moved to Linux has a feature that works as follows.
How can I do the following?
Using a control-key combination,
- select and mark a continguous rectangular area in the text document
- treat the marked area as a single text entity
- allow a “left, right, up down” shift of the marked area (with undo) . Respect the margins.
- allow copy, paste, (with undo)
- allow cut paste, (with undo)
- delete marked (with undo)
- If pasting overflows the bottom of the document, extend the number of lines to the document
- if shifting the marked area, left, move the text columns as appropriate. (the text beneath flows to the right of the shifted amount). Do similarly if shifting to the right.
- If cutting out the marked rectangle, shift the lines to the right over to the left by the width of the rectangle.
- Unselect marked rectangle with control key or by selecting a new rectangular area).