Rails highlighting like ACE Cloud9

I use Ruby on Rails and I desperately try to find the right syntax highlighting package for atom. Ruby is for designers thus syntax highlighting plays a very important role here.

This image is an example from Cloud 9 Editor. The code is much more readable. Is there already a package that would make my code nicely colored like in ACE (note that if: presente: true is also properly colored)?

It’s not really clear what you’re asking for – what’s wrong with Atom’s Rails highlighting right now compared to ACE?

Hey @mnquintana. Please check the with_options line - if:, unless: and in next line presence has different colors from other sym methods. At the moment everything is colored with the same color.

Which syntax theme do you have active? Atom Dark?

Well, I’ve tried 20+ themes and all have the same problem (including Atom Dark). Currently I use Monokai Syntax Theme with Atom Dark UI Theme.

Btw… I saw that many packages/themes are ported from TextMate which also have this problem.

Yup that’s probably why. One Dark / Light don’t have this problem though – if there’s a syntax theme you prefer to those though it might be worth opening an issue on that theme’s repo to enhance their colors for Ruby.

Hum… I see… “One Dark” colorize the presence: true like is should but if: :something is still in the same color.

That’s true. To be honest I’m not sure if the way ACE does it is a bug or a feature – it’s only colorizing those specific hash keys (if:, unless:) because they happen to be language keywords. You would probably get the same highlighting if you wrote class: or do: or def:. Whereas Atom is treating them as they are – symbol hash keys.

Aha… well ok… Thanks for your help. One Dark theme should do the trick for now :).

I think it’s mostly a matter of rule order, if the keyword rule appear before the symbol rule it will catch if:, unless: and other keywords as symbols before the symbol rule. Personnaly I don’t mind as generally when keywords are used as symbols they carry a special meaning so I like having them standing out. But you can fix this by putting the symbol rule before the keyword rule in the ruby grammar.