Quickly get answers and code samples from Stack Overflow directly in Atom

Been developing this package for a while now. Let me know if you have any comments or suggestions.

Thanks!

Package
Github

Quickly get answers and code samples from Stack Overflow directly in Atom editor.

Features

• Insert or copy code samples with the click of a button
  • Easily browse between questions and answers
  • Sort by relevance or votes
  • Access to the number of votes, tags, accepted answer and more

Usage

Toggle the Ask Stack Overlow form using CTRL + ALT + A or by typing Ask Stack in the command bar.

Installation

Package homepage

Install from the command line:

$ apm install ask-stack

Is it possible to make it match the current UI theme while still allowing it to be themed separately?

Maybe. I don’t know if the current theme CSS variables are accessible. Or perhaps if I don’t overwrite the background color it will simply use the current theme color. I’ll look into that.

Yes, the theme variables are accessible if you do:

@import "ui-variables";

This is an ingenious idea! Great work!
I’ll be watching this closely.

Ok good. I’ll try to get it working with a couple different themes see what looks good.

Thanks. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Love it! I particularly like the embedded question and answer content, and the copy/insert buttons on code items. It’s such a breeze this way!

Like @leedohm mentions, some options for customization would be a neat next step, incl. integration with the currently used UI theme, but also letting users configure a few more parameters for the stackexchange search:

• Just “Answered” questions: Yes/No
  • pre-populated, but still overwritable, Language field (from currently open / most recently focused editor tab)
  • Option to see more responses embedded / expandable.

Just a few first thoughts, but keep at it man, this is awesome not only for code newbies.

Cheers!

Just “Answered” questions: Yes/No

Good idea. I’ll look at how this can be done.

pre-populated, but still overwritable, Language field (from currently open / most recently focused editor tab)

This is something I’ve been meaning to get working since day 1 but just haven’t found it if it’s possible with the current API. If anyone knows please let me know.

Option to see more responses embedded / expandable.

Not sure I get what you mean. There’s already a link a the bottom to load more questions/answers (5 more on every click).

atom.workspace.getActiveEditor().getGrammar().scopeName should do the trick for you for “currently open”.

Awesome. I’ll try that when I get home tonight.

Edit: Is that documented? The getGrammar() method is documented in the Editor class but I don’t see scopeName in the Grammar class. Where did you find this?

No, properties in general are not currently documented. I found it by poking around in the Console :smile:

I see. Well good job finding this :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah sorry, I suppose I just haven’t seen that one yet. I’ll try it out.

pre-populated, but still overwritable, Language field (from currently open / most recently focused editor tab)

This has been implemented with this commit. However I haven’t tested it a lot yet so I won’t push a new version just now. Probably before the weekend. Meanwhile you can also checkout the code if you want to help testing :slight_smile:

Edit: Better idea. I just pushed a new version (0.0.5) with the “detect language” feature but it is disabled by default. You can go in the settings to enable it and try it out.

Great package idea! Just got one minor suggestion; stick to semantic versioning, which is encouraged by apm

Keep up the good work :shipit:

Ok I have updated the package, but I can’t see any new settings:

Am I missing anything?

The author (@Chris911) has forgotten to provide defaults for all the available configuration values:

In the meantime, you can set the values manually by updating your config.cson file.

Tried restarting Atom? This is what I see:

The default is right there in that file you linked. Look at line 5 autoDetectLanguage: false